Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geofcoulson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2003
North East UK
Dear All
I have an imac 700 slot loading with cd burner and an external firewire DVD burner running on 10.4. My problem is that I still use analogue camcorder but I can transfer this to any format of DVD on a recorder. I can then use one of these discs on the external drive (duplicating as many as I like in only 7 mins....not for commercial reasons....I copy DVD's of a stage show which I produce) and view on VLC programme. I have tried getting the Apple DVD applications on the imac, but it won't let me because I don't have the right "hardware" (presumably a superdrive). I would like to be able to edit the DVD, save it, and reburn it on the external drive. Is there an application that I can use, or is there a way I can get round the "hardware" requirement? I tried importing the TS file(DVD file) into Imovie, but all I got was a spinning wheel for ages.
Surely there must be a fix of some sort.
Thanks
Geoff Coulson

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, I'm a bit perplexed because I have an external dvd drive (see sig) and I'm able to do whatever I want with editing video. Now you say you can/can't put the video in iMovie or you haven't tried to? I ask because I'm using iLife 05' and can go through the whole process--import video from camcorder into iMovie, edit then proceed to iDVD, then just burn it using my external drive. I use Toast also for my other burning needs when I have to check out the video_ts folder. I'm not sure what or really why it is giving you a difficult time unless something isn't checked, like does iMovie open when the camcorder is plugged in? If not once you open it will it let you import the video? Other than that :confused:

geofcoulson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2003
North East UK
Thanks for the reply Dodger. The first thing I did when I got 10.4 was to try and load iLife. It was loading the programme in, then came up with the message that my hardware was not compatible (I think) and would not load any further......(thinking back...perhaps my external dvd burner was not switched on!!).
As I said, my camcorder is still analogue and thats why I first put it onto VHS then straight onto DVD (via a DVD recorder...real time) then I move the dvd into the external drive and use Toast to duplicate.
I did try to import the TS file into iMovie but with the wheel spinning for 30 minutes....I gave up. Perhaps I will try loading iLife again, making sure my external firewire DVD is switched on.
Thanks for your reply.
Geoff Coulson

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
There is a CD boot disk version of iLife, but it doesn't include iDVD. iLife requires an internal DVD burner, so that's why it doesn't care about your external burner.

For what you're trying to do, I believe Toast can do it.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
iMovie can't directly edit video from a DVD. You'd have to rip the video streams from the Video_TS folder/DVD using something like Mac The Ripper, then convert the M2V and AC3 files to something iMovie can deal with. It's really a kludged way of doing things. I'd highly recommend buying a digital camcorder with a Firewire connection. It will simplify things immensely for you.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
aloofman said:
There is a CD boot disk version of iLife, but it doesn't include iDVD. iLife requires an internal DVD burner, so that's why it doesn't care about your external burner.

For what you're trying to do, I believe Toast can do it.

iDVD works fine on my combo drive powerbook. i just can't burn, i can however make disc images from it and copy via network to a machine that does have a burner. so that isn't the problem at all. it also shouldn't matter if he's lacking a built in dvdrom drive. hence the reason for firewire and usb 2... to expand. your reasoning just doesn't make sense to me.

geofcoulson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2003
North East UK
Thanks for the replies guys. I tried iDvd again ......it loaded onto the mac ok but when I tried to open it.....it said "the required hardware is missing".
I have toast, but from the original TS file, I want to edit it and I dont think toast will do it unless there is a better version than the one I am running...titanium 6.
I agree....I really must splash out and get a mini DV camcorder.
Thanks for all your help.
Geoff Coulson

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
DXoverDY said:
iDVD works fine on my combo drive powerbook. i just can't burn, i can however make disc images from it and copy via network to a machine that does have a burner. so that isn't the problem at all. it also shouldn't matter if he's lacking a built in dvdrom drive. hence the reason for firewire and usb 2... to expand. your reasoning just doesn't make sense to me.

I stand corrected about needing a burner when a combo drive will do. But I stand by the fact that it's Apple's line about requiring an Apple-approved, iDVD-compatible disk drive. That's Apple's reasoning, not mine. I'm not saying that he can't make disk images because of this. I'm saying that it's probably why he can't use iDVD in the first place.

There are various hacks out there that people have used to con iDVD into using an external burner.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
aloofman said:
I stand corrected about needing a burner when a combo drive will do. But I stand by the fact that it's Apple's line about requiring an Apple-approved, iDVD-compatible disk drive. That's Apple's reasoning, not mine. I'm not saying that he can't make disk images because of this. I'm saying that it's probably why he can't use iDVD in the first place.

There are various hacks out there that people have used to con iDVD into using an external burner.

ok i think what you're saying is that he cannot BURN to a drive not supported via apple..without a patch anyway.. that makes sense and that is totally true. your original post didn't state that very clearly. however there's no reason it shouldn't run. heck even dvd studio pro runs fine on my machine despite not having a superdrive.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Yes, a LaCie drive (external) is or has support from Apple without using a hack in order to burn from iDVD (something new). Before I bought the drive I could make my iDVD project, save it, but not burn it (no superdrive). The part of video that geofcoulson made I thought was from a camcorder and put into iMovie not a dvd from real time :eek: But I must say in the end a newer camcorder would help out, I just got one myself.
Hope it all works out for you ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.