DVD-Enabled Wii in 2007

Discussion in 'Games' started by gloss, Nov 13, 2006.

1. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Not that I was doing any differently anyways, but another reason to wait till 2007

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

what a brillant move :rolleyes:

I would love to have my Wii as a DVD player but it's gonna cost more? and won't be available till late next year? :rolleyes:

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

don't really bother (i have dvd aleady) unless they add gameplay features which are unavailable in the launch wii
    that would just be splitting up their own market which i doubt

gonna end up perhaps similar to panasonic Q (or however it was called)

perhaps they can figure out a way for providing it through an firmware update ... the marketing guy says that won't work but we will see

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

If they said "$10-15 online firmware update for DVD playback" that would be great. IF people don't want it, they don't need it, people who do want it (myself) can get it.

Im not hooking a wii up to my big tv, since it's not HD and non-HD feeds don't look so hot on a big ass tv (sadly) So Wii will go in my room where I don't have a dvd player so the option would be nice.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Useless for 99% of people that will get the Wii

"Yay I now have 12 DVD players in my house!!"

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Pretty much useless since I have a nice Phillips that does DivX on DVD. Do I need yet another DVD player? =D

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

exactly what i was thinking.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Absolutely pointless. but by the time I get my own Wii it will probably have DVD functionality. Will it look as good as what OSX renders? Doubt it. The image adjustments and resizing alone puts OSX above any DVD player I've used.

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I think I have DVD player in my cell phone. How do I check?

:D

I always use a game console as my DVD player but mainly because I always have a game console so it's sorta dumb to get a DVD player on top of that. But... I have a 360 for playing DVD's so a DVDless Wii is fine by me. Kinda funny though with all the Nintendo people saying how the 360 and PS3 are bad for giving consumers a crappy version option and a more expensive "good console" option...

Still gettin' a Wii though!

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually this is just the usual Nintendo crap they've done with the GBA (releasing a better GBA SP a year or so later) and NDS (releasing DS-Lite)..

Now they are going to do the same with the Wii... it's not surprising at all and it wont cost any more than normal wii... why? simple. In a years time we'd all expect $20-30 price cut for the next holidays... by releasing a slightly improved wii they can keep to the $249 price.

And whilst a lot of you say it wouldnt interest you, Nintendo know exactly what makes it's fans go out and buy the same slightly improved hardware 12 months time... how many of you traded in DS for a DS Lite, or GBA for a GBA SP.....

They are bound to add more than just DVD playback, maybe up the onboard storage to 1gb (from 512mb)... Hey Presto Wii Sp.......

12. Oblivious macrumors 6502

What a joke.

Couldn't Nintendo just update the firmware on the current Wii to give it DVD playback capabilities?:rolleyes:

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

come on why would they do that ? Seriously so they make $10-15 online..

but if they just release Wii SP (or whatever they will call it) they make a lot more money as people go out and spend anopther $249......

It has historically worked for them for two previous consoles and been a part of their marketing strategy from day 1 it seems with the wii. (obviously if they have already acknowledged a new version in 2007 and its not even released yet)....

welcome to capitalism.....