DVD Extracting Program That Does Well With CSS Encrypted DVDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BurtonCCC, Jul 30, 2006.

1. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

This post will probably get deleted... but does anybody know of any free DVD extraction software that can rip CSS encrypted DVDs? They're discs from my personal collection that I want to copy so I don't have to take the originals to college.

Thanks.

And if this post violates rules, I'm sorry.

Daniel.

2. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Hmm... I tried every DVD-related program on my system except that... trying it now. I'll let you know the outcome.

Daniel.

3. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Alright, I didn't think Handbrake would work and I was correct. I'm looking for an exact DVD copy, no encoding to iPod or anything like that. I need a program in which the end result is a VIDEO_TS folder. Thanks for trying though.

Daniel.

4. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Alright, let's try this: lemme list what I've tried, but hasn't worked:

MacTheRipper
    Popcorn
    Toast
    Handbrake

Daniel.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you have an Intel Mac, you could always resort to Boot Camp and see if one of the Windows rippers might work....

I still default to the defunct DVD Decrypter for most DVD ripping (a rare occasion).

B

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is there a particular DVD that you're having trouble with? MacTheRipper should work.

7. NJuul macrumors 6502

The combination of MacTheRipper and Toast (7) should work just fine. What are you having problems with? You should use MacTheRipper to rip the DVD to your harddrive. This will give you an exact copy of the DVD. Then use Toast to burn it. If you only have single layer discs, you must remember to keep "Fit to DVD compression" ticked.

8. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

note he did ask for free programs, and you cannot (legally) download toast for free.

however, i would DEFINITELY recommend using the combo of MacTheRipper + Toast. MTR will rip the DVDs to your hard drive, and Toast will do everything else.

if you wanna go even one more step, you can also get (purchase) DVD2oneX which is a great app for compressing the file to fit onto a DVD. however, Toast can do that as well... so it's kind of a waste unless you have a real need for it.

hope this helps.

9. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I have those four programs that I listed above: Popcorn, Toast, MacTheRipper, and HandBrake. Basically, I've used MacTheRipper enough to know that when it has a problem with copy protection, you usually don't get any error message for a very long time, the drive usually just makes the same loud and obnoxious noise over and over again and the computer gets really hot. It has been doing this with Underworld Evolution. Eventually, it does give an error message with something about macros. Toast and Popcorn outright tell me that the disc is CSS encrypted and it can't be copied. We've tried ripping this DVD on a 12" and 15" G4 PowerBook. Oddly, the original Matrix can't be ripped either, but that came out before anybody knew DVDs could be copied, so that's weird.

Daniel.

10. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I should add this, because I think some people are confused... I know how to rip and re-burn my DVDs. I started doing my large collection quite some time ago. The MacTheRipper and then Popcorn combination is my method of choice. This thread is about the first (really the second) disc that has copy protection that actually works and trying to find a program that can successfully rip these DVDs:

Underworld Evolution
    The Matrix

Daniel

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

12. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

yeah... ripdifferent is a great site for all your DVD ripping needs

13. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Okay, I'll continue my search there. Thanks y'all.

Daniel.