DVD -> FCP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jelloshotsrule, Sep 13, 2004.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm sure there are topics about this before, but i didn't have much luck finding this exact thing in my short search.

i need to take footage off a dvd and have it in dv/aiff format, to use in FCP.

i'm able to get the audio and the video off, but i remember a while back when i did this before, some trick to getting the two to sync up (something about changing the speed/duration of the video to match the audio), but i can't remember what the trick was, and was wondering, in general, if there's a simple way to do this.

i have to rip a ton of clips and am searching for a pretty streamlined way of getting each clip from the dvd to a dv file that i can then import in fcp for editing...

i use apps including osex, mac3dec, bbdemux, and i guess i'll try using ffmpeg

any help in doing the sync part (or if there are apps that rip it such that no syncing work is needed....) would be great
    thanks

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Just a thought (I use OSex and co. myself) but would Snapz Pro X 2.0 work with DVD Player to get you the clips you need?

3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Well, The thing I do is kinda wierd but it works. I don't have any programs to rip the DVD, so I plug a DVD player into my Camera, my camera into my computer, and then when I play the DVD, it will play on my computer and I can capture it directly without having to do any syncing.
    Hope that helps

4. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what type of connector do you use from dvd->cam?

i don't have my dv cam available at the moment...

stoid- i doubt there's any way snapz could capture at 30ish fps with full quality. hmm

if nothing else, i'm looking for some type of formula that works pretty consistently to sync the audio... i think i remember such a thing, but i have since lost the read me or whatever it was. hmm

thanks

5. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I just use the Composite connector cable that came with the camera. The one that let's you connect it to a TV or VCR. On mine (a Sony DV cam, can't recall the model number) the composite works both ways. So I connect DVD via composite->Cam via Firewire->Computer.