DVD formats!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gangst, Jan 9, 2005.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm often making DVDs and have always used DVD-R format, recently a few friends of mine said that these DVDs didn't work in their DVD players. If I was to buy DVD+R, would these be compatible? What is the pros and cons of DVD-R vs. DVD+R?

Thanks in advance

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

DVD+R is supposed to work with more older DVD players. However, the fact is that DVD+R works with fewer DVD players than DVD-R. If your friends have problems with your DVD-R disks, check to make sure that they work in your DVD player. If they do, then advise your friends to buy a new DVD player. They are really cheap now and, in some cases, free.

3. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Both + and - formats will work in a standalone DVD player. Some 1st Gen DVD players might have issues playing a + or a - formate DVD however that is a very very rare case.

As it stands both formats will play quite well. :)

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The vast majority of DVD players made in past few years should play -R and +R equally well. But no burned DVD is 100% compatible w/every set top player, and not all set top players play burned discs equally. -R, which was first on the scene, has a bit more compatibility (generally speaking) w/players 'round 5+ years old, but I think the best case situation is making a burned DVD that is something like 85% or 90% compatible w/set top players.

The problem is that both the choice of media and the choice of player are variables.

Just out of curiousity, what kind of blank media are you using?

Lethal

5. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

What brand of media is what I think he was asking.

7. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

o sorry lol, the braand is rivision, i bought it from the UK as I live there, so I dunno if you guys get it

8. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

I've actually had issues using a photo DVD I burned in iDVD. I used the standard DVD disc that comes free with the iMac, and it wouldnt play in a £700 Pioneer DVD player, or a Sony DVD Player. Both had different issues, but either way, the DVD was *not* watchable.

I guess it might just be the apple dvdr media. I'll have to try some other discs - i dont mind paying the hideous prices for apple discs (if they are better quality), but when they dont even work properly, well that takes the cake..

/asif

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

They should have DVD*R, DVD%R, and DVD-R2-D2. That should increase the confusion.

10. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Try to say those out-loud - "hey which one should i get? dvd percent sign R? or maybe dvd asterisk R...." funny stuff.

kyle

oh and to answer the question about apple media. Don't buy that overly-priced stuff. Any decent brand name should be quality enough. If it wouldn't play in your dvd player - maybe it is something before the burn - not the media...