Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I heard a story today on NPR that Artisan Entertainment was releasing Terminator 2 on DVD HD. It would be viewable ONLY on a PC. because there is not 'standard' for DVD HD, Microsoft has stepped in with their 'own' format and software to allow these high quality disks to play on Windows OS.
Anyone know much about this issue? Any knowledge if Apple will support this standard?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-seamuskrat

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It sounds like FUD to me. Considering HD (1080i) requires a disk pit- and-land density than can be read with a laser running at a frequency at no less than 400nm (blue/violet).

And those players aren't widely available yet.

Even if MS managed to have T2 produced in HD/DVD. I wish them luck. Considering they need the support of the real entertainment industry to set the standards.

If it does exist, don't buy it. The real standard will be forthcoming, and MS would have to capitulate.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I know Windows Media Player 9 was/is being considered as the codec for HD DVD, but AFAIK no final format decission has been reached yet. And, for political reasons, many people don't feel WMP 9 will be the chosen codec.

Lethal

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Well here's the problem. The HD-Players are not available for computers yet. When they do become availabe probably this next Christmas they will be at least $600 or more for just the player. How many people are going to upgrade to be able to play a hand full of HD-DVDs that may or may not come out in the next year?

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Another problem...

I heard that HD (1080i) playback in Windows Media Player 9 can only perform at about 10 frames per second unless you have a 3ghz. Pentium 4... Even then you will get stuttering.

This format has a long ways to being perfected, but one nice thing about the WMP9 codec is that you can fit an HD movie on a standard 9GB dual-layer DVD...

God I hope that standard doesn't take hold... I can just picture it now:

This movie must be activated before playing. Please enter your product activation code now, or call 1-800-DONT-TRY-TO-PIR8-OUR-EXPENSIVE-MICROSOFT-SH*T.

Originally posted by patrick0brien
-seamuskrat

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It sounds like FUD to me. Considering HD (1080i) requires a disk pit- and-land density than can be read with a laser running at a frequency at no less than 400nm (blue/violet).

And those players aren't widely available yet.

Even if MS managed to have T2 produced in HD/DVD. I wish them luck. Considering they need the support of the real entertainment industry to set the standards.

If it does exist, don't buy it. The real standard will be forthcoming, and MS would have to capitulate.
They're actually on standard 9GB DVDs, not the new blue laser ones or something.

I'm sure Windows Media for OS X will add in HD-DVD support sometime. Time'll tell. HD-DVD samples I downloaded played beautifully on my 1.73 GHz Athlon.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by MacCoaster
They're actually on standard 9GB DVDs, not the new blue laser ones or something.

I'm sure Windows Media for OS X will add in HD-DVD support sometime. Time'll tell. HD-DVD samples I downloaded played beautifully on my 1.73 GHz Athlon.

Microsoft said the new format is for Windows only with no plans on porting. The quality has got to suck. How can you compress that much information down. I mean your talking about 20gigs plus for good high-quality HD in the traditional DVD format.

Originally posted by MacBandit
Microsoft said the new format is for Windows only with no plans on porting. The quality has got to suck. How can you compress that much information down. I mean your talking about 20gigs plus for good high-quality HD in the traditional DVD format.
Quality doesn't degrade that much. It does degreade to perhaps some noticeable factor, but really you wouldn't notice unless it was compressed poorly.

But honestly, it looks magnificient on my Athlon.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-MacCoaster

Please understand, I'm not doubting you I'm doubting Microsoft as they 'bend' marketing terms very often.

There is simply no way to compress full HD 1080i(or p) @ 24bit with 5.1 (especially 7.1) 24bit/96khz audio down to where they're claiming.

They are sacraficing something, I'm just trying to find out what...

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-MacBandit

Good point.

Audio content aside, when looking for true 1080i (or p) I use the "sweat test"(on a real HDTV):

Can you see the sweat and/or pores of an actor/athlete from a bustshot?

If you can see it/them clarly, and can tell the difference, the image passes and it's true HDTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.