DVD Help, Burning a 2 sided DVD to 1 Side

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blueflame, Jun 18, 2005.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

ok, so I havea movie (yes I own it) its called "the man who would be king" With sean COnnery and Micheal caine, i reccommend everyone out there to see it, its probably my favorite movie, anyway, its an old old dvd, one of the first, and the movie is not that long, but it is split up onto both sides of the dvd, like old laserdisc, andyway, i have mac the ripper and popcorn, I want to make it so i dont have to flip the damn disc, it drives me nuts. how can i do that? when i import each side, it names the files, and then, i cannot rename them becuase of the nameing structure, anyway, i would appreciate the help
    thank everyone,
    Andreas

2. jyumibe macrumors newbie

as far as i know, there isn't any good way to do this. i don't think there's software out there, at least for the mac, that will let you combine the two sides, more or less autmatically. you'd have to do it manually, which will be pretty time consuming, and somewhat complicated.

you'd have to rip the two sides (via mac the ripper). then demux all of the vob files into mpeg2 / sound files (probably ac3), via ffmpegx. then import the mpeg2 and sound files into dvd studio pro and track them out. then design a menu for the disk. then if it's over 4.4 gigs, which it'll probably be, "build" the disk and then compress it back down to 4.4 (via ffmpegx, or popcorn, or whatever). you could do some of this via final cut as well, and do the compressing via compressor.

alternatively, you could ffmpegx the vob files into mpeg4(?, i think that's what idvd accepts) files that idvd will accept. and then build the disk that way. you could also compress the mpeg4 files down through ffmpegx to make the whole film fit into 4.4 gigs.

i would say all of this probably isn't worth the effort. you're looking at a lot of time, especially if you haven't done this before. but if you just want to learn how to do all of this, it wouldn't be a bad project.

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

4. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

You can rip the movie to your HDD using MactheRipper. Then you'll have to buy Popcorn and you could burn it to a single sided disc. I don't know of a free program that will burn the files from your HDD.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've never seen an option in Popcorn to join sides :confused:

6. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I haven't copied any of my two-sided discs. I would think that when you rip it to your HDD that you could join sides. Would placing all the files in the same folder work? I'll have to try it later just to give a definite answer.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Both sides will likely have the same filenames. Two-sided discs, at the filesystem level, are treated like two separate one-sided discs.

8. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

hey all

yea, so, DVD2oneX worked, you have to buy it for that feature, but good. unfortunatly, it lost my dvd extras and stuff, but oh well, the movie is the most important.
    Andreas
    thank you everyone

9. king_leonidas macrumors member

king_leonidas

Fast DVD Copy has this feature.It cost $99 but has all the jobs with one click(unlock,compress and burn).I have do this job with this program a lot of times with two sides dvd or with d/l dvds ;)