Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

painter63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
A friend from Hawaii recently sent me a DVD he burned from some VHS tapes that he took on a dive/whale watching trip several years ago. I would like to import some sections of the DVD into a small presentation made via iMovie. Is it possible to do this without getting the original VHS tapes? I am quite sure that he does not have the originals any more. It sure would be helpful in preparing a lecture for my school science class if someone could tell me if it is possible and then how to do it.
Thanks

painter 63

randas

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2005
You can use a program like handbrake (google it) to rip the dvd onto your harddrive

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I would also recommend downloading handbrake. It will rip your DVDs into MPEG4s which will work in imovie. Or you can do it like I did before I discovered handbrake - play it in a dark room and tape it with a miniDV camera. Yes, I am obviously a technical genius.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
adk said:
I would also recommend downloading handbrake. It will rip your DVDs into MPEG4s which will work in imovie. Or you can do it like I did before I discovered handbrake - play it in a dark room and tape it with a miniDV camera. Yes, I am obviously a technical genius.
If your miniDV camcorder has an AV pass-thru, you could have just played the DVD in a standard player and recorded the footage (or passed it straight thru) onto a miniDV tape.

Alternative to handbrake, you could use DVDxDV to covert the DVD to dv footage. I hear MPEGStreamClip and Cinematize can also do this.

I'm not sure if there are any quality differences between DV and MPEG4.

ft

painter63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
Many Thanks

Randa, adk, and ftaok,

Many "thank you's" go out to you for the rapid and helpful replies to my most recent request. I have downloaded both programs and each seems to work. I actually have started the iMovie presentation using each one.

Again, THANK YOU for your help.
painter63

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.