DVD into iMovie

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by painter63, Dec 30, 2005.

1. painter63 macrumors newbie

A friend from Hawaii recently sent me a DVD he burned from some VHS tapes that he took on a dive/whale watching trip several years ago. I would like to import some sections of the DVD into a small presentation made via iMovie. Is it possible to do this without getting the original VHS tapes? I am quite sure that he does not have the originals any more. It sure would be helpful in preparing a lecture for my school science class if someone could tell me if it is possible and then how to do it.
    Thanks

painter 63

2. randas macrumors member

randas

You can use a program like handbrake (google it) to rip the dvd onto your harddrive

3. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I would also recommend downloading handbrake. It will rip your DVDs into MPEG4s which will work in imovie. Or you can do it like I did before I discovered handbrake - play it in a dark room and tape it with a miniDV camera. Yes, I am obviously a technical genius.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

If your miniDV camcorder has an AV pass-thru, you could have just played the DVD in a standard player and recorded the footage (or passed it straight thru) onto a miniDV tape.

Alternative to handbrake, you could use DVDxDV to covert the DVD to dv footage. I hear MPEGStreamClip and Cinematize can also do this.

I'm not sure if there are any quality differences between DV and MPEG4.

ft

5. painter63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many Thanks

Randa, adk, and ftaok,

Many "thank you's" go out to you for the rapid and helpful replies to my most recent request. I have downloaded both programs and each seems to work. I actually have started the iMovie presentation using each one.

Again, THANK YOU for your help.
    painter63