Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nekkid Fish

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
So Cal
I'm a little confused about how to bring a DVD movie into iMovie. :confused:

Do I use (almost) the same steps as are posted in the sticky under iTunes, and use MacTheRipper, and then Handbrake to bring the DVD's into iMovie?

I've searched the forums first, but still not clear on the steps to take.

I also read that the DVD's, if too large, might crash iMovie. Is there a rule of thumb on how big is too big? I'm not sure what the DVD sizes are. We have some home movies that were brought onto DVD from 8mm's.

My wish list includes Apple having better tutorials on how to use their various i software app's. :rolleyes:

Thanks bunches! Jules

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
If you are going to use Handbrake and convert your DVD into mpeg4, you might as well skip Mac The Ripper step. Just push your DVD in, close DVDplayer if it comes up and then start Handbrake. Use high bitrate and quality settings.

I have never imported any clip longer than 10 minutes, so I don't know whether there is a limit to the length of a movie that iMovie can safely handle. However, Handbrake lets you rip each chapter separately. That's what I would do to be on the safe side. It would also make editing much easier later.

Nekkid Fish

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
So Cal
Thanks BB ... I'll give it a shot. I have one DVD that is 16 minutes, so I'll try that one first.

The other one is 46 minutes, so who knows how that will go, and the third one does not have any time on it, so I have no idea how long it is. :cool:

HUGz! Jules

tilman

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
I use MPEG Streamclip with the Quicktime MPEG2 plugin ($29 on top of Quicktime Pro) to convert the DVD video into DV format. I had no problems editing the results in either Quicktime Pro or iMovie 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.