DVD Jon Activates iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 4, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Jon Johansen (DVD Jon) has posted a method that allows users to take a new iPhone and activate it without connecting to AT&T servers or supplying any personal information.

The method allows users take an iPhone and activate it to allow iPod and Wifi functionality, but without signing up for mobile telephone service with AT&T.

This has also be accomplished by canceling AT&T service in the first few days after activation.
  2. macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2005
    These guys have also succeeded in this (using their own method), and are going for several other achievements such as unlocking it and installing an SSH server on it, as well as getting third-party applications to run on it. I think it's nice that they share all their findings and how the manage to do these things.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Nov 11, 2003
    In the Bowels of the Cosmos
    Would the use of this software void the warranty?
  4. macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Keep it coming, I want to see all the neat things the hackers can do.

Plus they've already cracked the root and administrator password.

5. macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    Cape Town, South Africa
    No, of course not! (Sarcasm)

6. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Apr 6, 2005
    About time!! I think we will see soon an unlocked iPhone. And that is when the iPhone won't be At&t-exclusive anymore :cool:
  7. (L)
    macrumors 6502

Nov 12, 2005
    Big Question

The big question for me, and hopefully also shared by a genius hacker, is if the iPhone can be made to work with Skype (for free internet calls and for paid Skype calls to normal phones). I don't even use Skype now, with a computer, but as wireless internet becomes more common, this kind of thing should be inevitable.
  8. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Apr 6, 2005
    Major updates: iPhone Filesystem cracked

The encrypted dmg file with the iPhone filesystem files was broken TODAY. The complete file list can be viewed here.

9. macrumors 68000

Sep 25, 2004
    Great work by these chaps. I wonder what AT&T are going to think when the iPhone is fully unlocked. Apple is remarkably stupid - they should have just released an unlocked phone.. their sales would have been much more than the current statistics. Not to mention - all the international sales.

I understand higher profits and all that, but I think they would have made up for all the profit, and made much more - because of the sheer volume of iphones sold. Consumers don't like restrictions, and Apple seems to be heading towards a path that I really don't appreciate.
  10. Retired

May 16, 2006
    Some other carriers do not want to give Apple the special treatment demanded (visual voicemail etc.)
  11. macrumors member

Oct 26, 2005
    I notice that the filelist includes carrier images for Vodaphone and T-Mobile as well as AT&T / Cingular. Maybe the closest indication that iPhone will indeed be coming to the UK on Voda / T-Mobile... or both.

12. Retired

May 16, 2006
    I have no idea about these things, but couldn't this be for roaming outside of the US?
  13. macrumors 6502

May 20, 2005
  14. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Apr 6, 2005
    You don't need an activation token if you are going to use Jon's method.
  15. macrumors 603

Apr 21, 2003
    Roaming usually means you keep using your existing carrier,but you connect to local carriers. They will charge you $$$ for priviledge of using their networks.

If the phone was unlocked ( which would be a great feat ), you'd be able to use any SIM card in your phone, thus any GSM carrier.

I wonder if Apple will disable unlocked / lock up the phones in future updates?
  16. macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2004
    This is so great to hear. I've been telling people since January that I hope to have an iPhone on T-Mobile by the end of summer. At this rate, I might have a T-Mo iPhone by the end of this week! :p

I don't plan on switching carriers any time soon (read: I'm married for another year, and at&t is at&t). Keep the news a-comin!
  17. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Apr 6, 2005
    Why would they?. The only loser from unlocking an iPhone is AT&T Because it means you don't need to switch to them to use an iPhone.
  18. macrumors 6502

May 20, 2005
    Ah yes - I was looking at the other method as in post 2 - which seems a lot more straightforward (IF you can get a token)

Jon's method makes no sense to a layman like me!
  19. macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2007
    can someone explain to me (easily lol) how to use jon's method, i've downloaded everything needed, even an hex editor but i dunno how to use it(i've also added the patch at the etc/hosts file)

i just need to understand the offset thing and i think i'll be done...PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP MEEEEEEEEEE
  20. macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    That's the good news.

The bad news here.

21. macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2007
    Keep in mind AT&T allows international roaming. There is a guy at my office here in Germany who lives in the states but brought his iphone here for a couple weeks and it works fine(no idea how much his usage is costing him though)
  22. macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2002
    Monterrey, Mexico
    Unlocked iPhone

Yeah and it´s gonna be called iPod, a no phone, touch screen iPod + wifi that is.
  23. macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2004

Do you guys work at an apple office, or are you close personal friends of Stevie J?

The reason I ask is because I think the device has only been publicly available for 4 1/2 days. You said he brought it there for a couple weeks? Why weren't you posting more info about the phone before the launch if you had a co-worker who already had one? :D
  24. Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    Latest update

I present you with a video describing our efforts today
    http://www.videosift.com/video/Daft-Hands-Harder-Better-Faster-Stronger (good video by not very relevant - added by xUKHCx)

we are focusing on unlocking
    6 people who needed to work on unlocking had unactivated phones
    now their phones are activated
    now they can work on unlocking

our priorities are in the right order

and there are a bunch of other teams working on unlocking

so if they get there before us, fine
    we're not in it for the zomg credit (apparently there are at least 3 teams working on this added by xUKHCx)

is one of them nanocrew?
    dvd jon was in our dev channel yesterday all day
    i'll let you draw your own conclusions

you'll be interested to know we found something....interesting
  25. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Apr 6, 2005
    At&t has roaming agreements with around 30 carriers worldwide and there are only files for 2 other carriers. So no, these two files definitely have nothing to do with roaming.