DVD media

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roland.g, Dec 8, 2006.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have a Mac Mini (early 2006) and am looking to order some blank dvd's from either supermediastore.com or allmediaoutlet.com.

Does anyone have any success or issues using Taiyo Yuden Premium 8X or 16X DVD-R media or Verbatim Double Layer 2.4x to 8x DVD+R DL media?

Just want to make sure they are compatible with the (is it Matshita?) DVD burner (I think the Minis are 8X) in the Mac Minis.

2. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Could the first 1.66Ghz Mini burn DL DVD's? If it can, those DVD's would be 100% compatable with your Mac Mini's SD:)

3. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Yes, I'm pretty sure of it. They didn't change the drive when they updated to the 1.83 lineup and the new one's are DL.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

the current 1.83 minis have this: "SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)" so they support DL (which is a surprise to me).

i don't remember when Apple added this option, though, but i'd guess it was whenever they last updated the minis, since we haven't seen an update in a while.

that said, i've always had good experiences with Verbatim but i will say this: different machines react to media differently.

5. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

6. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

There's a great website for this kind of information:
    http://www.apple-history.com/
    It goes all the way back to the Apple I, and through recent times. You can find your mini on this site and then look at the drive specs.