DVD Movie Backup Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xaphonyx, Oct 29, 2004.

1. xaphonyx macrumors newbie

I usually make copies of my dvds for backup purposes. When i owned a PC i used a program called dvdxcopy and it worked perfectly, because i had the option of not including all the menus and it just burned the movie with a backup disclaimer at the begining. It also compressed the movie if needed to fit on a standard DVD. Is there any software that will allow me to backup my dvds on my g5? I dont mind if it has disclaimers or watermarks, since im just using them for backup purposes, just as long as it will fit the dvd on a standard DVD. Thanks for any help.

2. armandocerna macrumors regular

If the dvd is encrypted you have to rip it will mactheripper. Then if the dvd is larger then 4gb I think it is you need to use dvd2onex to shrink it down. The third step is to use toast to burn the video_ts and audio_ts folders. There may be a program to do all the encryption, large movies shrinking and burning in one but I haven't found it yet. Not to say that I was looking for it especially. If you find anything please let me know

3. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Here's the best solution to your question....

Fast DVD Copy

Its an all in one program, with just one click. For OS X only.

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

MacTheRipper is freeware, while DVD2oneX must be purchased. DVD2oneX will also create the dvd image if you put 'mkisofs' in the package directory. Then you can burn it with the OS X Disk Utility or Toast or from the Finder.

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

US$ 99.95! You've got to be joking! I thought DVD2oneX was overpriced, but this is ridiculous, IMO. All this stuff is just cobbled together from open source anyway.

6. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Yeah, but i didn't pay that. I found a promo for it on their website at the time, and paid 69.99 for it. Besides you looking at it the wrong way. Just think of what he, or anyone else, would have to pay if his movies or cds were stolen. Just think of all the money he would have to spend on duplicate copies. Just a thought.

Big deal if you would pay that price. He asked what programs were like what he is using for the PC, but on the Mac. So i replied, since i haven't had a single problem with the program, and i think it is faster than using all of those seperate programs.

7. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I don't have any problem with you recommending this software. I was simply expressing my opinion that it was overpriced. Nero on the PC is 33% less, list price, and has *a lot* more functionality. IMO FastDVDCopy is gouging folks and I, personally, wouldn't pay that amount. BTW, give me a break, I don't think you are worried about someone stealing your DVD collection. Are you trying to tell me that you put the copies in your safe deposit box? If not, I guess the thieves get to steal the backups, too.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

My recommendations are for DVD2OneX and DVD Backup. I've heard good things about DVDibbler, but I have no idea what it's application is and haven't used it. Fast DVD Copy is too pricey IMO.

9. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Guys, i agree that it is over priced. I also agree that there are other good, or even free programs, which can be used. But, after letting my family members use or barrow some of my dvds, and scratching them, or even breaking them, it seemed like a good idea at the time to spend that amount of money.

And yes being a college student living in a apt. with college friends, which tend to have a decent amount of good sized parties, stuff tends to come up missing every once and awhile.

Anyways, it does everything i need it to do and more, so i am satisfied with it.