DVD on TV

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Mala, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Mala macrumors 6502

I'm in Ireland (hence using the same type of TV that they use in Britain), and I'd like to play DVDs on my PowerBook G4 and have them show on my TV set.

I've tried to do this using a SCART connected to the computer with an S-video cable, but it didn't work; nor did the same setup work for my neighbour on his Windows/Linux laptop.

The only thing that looked fishy about the S-video was that it has four prongs, whereas both my PowerBook's and my neighbour's Windows laptop have seven holes on the S-video socket.

This is allegedly easy to do; I feel a bit of an eejit that I can't set it up. Help, please!

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

After you connect the PowerBook > S-Video > SCART go to the Displays Pane in Preferences and click the Detect Displays. That should do it.

That works for me, but I'm in America with NTSC and not PAL monitors.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

S-Video cables are four-prong. You may be confusing other things for the three extra holes. You PowerBook's S-Video port is designed to connect it to a standard S-video compatible monitor for display and S-Video enabled sources for video capture.

4. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

what you are doing it correct... but go into disaply preferences, select the "display" tab and then click "detect displays"... hope it works for ya.

5. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, tried that and it didn't work. Drat.