DVD/Optical Drive Not Working For An iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Saint John, Sep 10, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I recently got an iBook from a friend. He didn't want it. I took it home and I used the Recovery CD. Everything was going well. I used an audio cd on the iBook, the CD icon appeared on the desktop and it played it. On the other hand, the DVD did not work. I inserted the DVD the icon did not appear on the desktop.
    I went to the Application Folder and went to the DVD Player application and it gave me a nasty message: MAC OS X -DVD PLAYER ENCOUNTERED A SERIOUS ERROR. A VALID DVD DRIVE COULD NOT BE FOUND (-70012).

Any suggestions on what I can do?
    Cheers

2. macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Sounds like your drive is CD only. I was kinda bummed to find out that the iBook I have was the same configuration. Your solutions are to get an external DVD drive or to find a DVD drive that goes in your model iBook on eBay or the like.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks SuperJudge

It was a bummer to find out it did not play DVDs. Thank you!

4. macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

if you are already on ebay to look for a combo dive ..look for a superdrive too, then you can burn dvd's too , they dont cost much more , ok they are rare
    and make at least 3 times sure that it works in your iBook
    but i would personally not bother with a internal ,externals safe the hassle of taking the iBook apart and are most times cheaper too

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

SuperJudge

You are absolutely right, it's a hassle to take it apart. I was looking at the drives on Ebay, and once again, you are right, the drives are cheap. Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it.
    Cheers

6. macrumors 6502a

i guess i was lucky and got a 500mhz ibook g3 witch had already been upgraded to a 60gb hdd and a cd/dvd combo drive