DVD Pirates??? $11.00 DVDS!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by chewbaccapits, Jan 21, 2003.

1. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

How can I find out the VALIDITY of these site:

www.buysdvd.com

www.vcdmovieland.com

www.dvdhyperstore.com

_..I recently bought this info from ebay (1.50) for sites that sell DVDs @ 11.00 bucks...I found out that they sell CURRENT films in theatres and films that are yet to be MADE on DVD...For example at this site www.deevdee.com .... I found that RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (trilogy) was selling for 30 bucks...I said, "WOW!"........Well...not really, "WOW" but close to it...But I CROSS CHECKED this with amazon and it stated that "RAIDERS trilogy" is yet to be MADE! WTF! Does someone know how to find out how legit this is???

2. chewbaccapits thread starter macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

3. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Looks like some are VCD's and derivative DVD's that were pirated in Asia. Notice what the subtitle languages available are.
    I don't think that any of us are so naiive to think that piracy doesn't exist, and if these aren't legit companies, how well will they respect your money and your rights as a customer? If you are willing to take the risk and careful to get the details, like when are they shipping those not yet released titles, what region code are they, and so on...

4. moby1 macrumors 6502

$11 DVD's

I've seen some unreleased DVD titles burned to DVD in Malaysia. They look like they were transfered from VCD or even VHS to MPEG2. Very poor quality compared to commercial DVD's. Really not worth it.

:(

5. chewbaccapits thread starter macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

thx...I just wanted to see if any of you have run into these site...just wanted to see how they can CONTINUE to sell these DVDs, I mean having websites like these...Crazy...

6. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Well, if I were in Asia, had a computer, and wanted to run a scam, I'd set up a template for a site, and as soon as I got a threatening email, I'd plug new graphics onto the template, move domains, and re-announce myself loudly enough to continue making money, but not be caught by the MPAA (they're too busy shutting down P2P to worry about actual revenue stealing piracy).

I'd ship product, so as to avoid chargebacks, and suspicion in my locality, but the product would come with no gaurantee of quality or compatibility.

I'd make a great living, as most black marketeers do, because my home gov't is little concerned with privacy.

I'd probably regret trading my first born for a DVD duper though...