Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deral

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Kahuku, Hawai'i
hi. i got an ibook g3, and it has a combo drive on it. For a while, I noticed that a DVD would start skipping and playback would be choppy always at the middle of the DVD (could that be the drive having a hard time with the lens at that position), and then suddenly, the Combo Drive starts making loud noises, like someone opening the zipper on a tent back and forth. When this happens, the whole computer seems to be stuck on that, since I can't click on anything else, or quit the DVD Player program

So basically, my problem is DVD playback stops functioning towards the middle of any DVD (even new DVDs). Am i alone?

el greenerino

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
DVD player gets really buggy after waking from sleep on my book. plus you can see lines, which i think are from the interlaced video, but i wouldnt know anything about that.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
I sounds like its having a hard time reading the disk. I know all my drives make that noise when they are trying to play a dvd that is scratched.

Tyler.Schmaltz

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2004
Velva
I have a ibook g3 700mhz 256 mb ram and dvd's play fine on my computer. I only had problems once and right after that my logic board went out!!

superfunkomatic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
calgary, ab canada
i have a powerbook g3 400, and had the same thing happen with mine.
i'd get to points on the DVD (not necessarily the middle) and the whole system would lock up after the DVD player clicked and seeked for a few seconds.

turns out it was dirty rental DVDs, as some of them did the same thing in my standalone DVD player. it's jackasses not taking care of the DVDs.

deral

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Kahuku, Hawai'i
thanks, but i'm guessing it's somethign to do wit mah DVD reader, since the skipping even happens to brand new DVDs right out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.