DVD playback w/ 30" cinema: ati 9650 or better?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by eAspenwood, Jun 28, 2005.

1. eAspenwood macrumors member

I'm determining whether to get a ATI 9650 in a 2.3ghz powermac for use with a 30" cinema.

I'm not a gamer. DVD playback would be my main concern as far as image quality. So I think the 9650 will suffice, but what do you all think? Any reasons other than gaming or those special pro apps i don't use to upgrade to a fancy video card like the nVidia 6800 or the X850 XT? I can't find anything.

-- J.

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Don't bother with nv6800 or atiX800. Image quality doesnot depend on video card. I have GeForce 2 MX 32 MB and my screen is as beautiful as on newest eMacs (Rad9600 64MB). DVD-playback depends much more on the CPU

3. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You'll have no troubles. DVD playback is CPU based basicilly. Its all software now, and the G5 is probably the worlds most expensive DVD player. lol.

4. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

Any reason? If you want your 30" screen to work you better one!

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The 9650 has Dual Link DVI, IIRC.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

hehe ;)

7. eAspenwood thread starter macrumors member

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Are you planning on playing the DVDs fullscreen on your 30"? If so, it really isn't going to look like anything special. The resolution of the 30" is WAY more than the resolution of a standard definition DVD.

9. eAspenwood thread starter macrumors member

well i guess i'm not too picky. my mac set up currently moonlights as my entertainment center and i'm pretty happy with it so far. i don't watch tv, but i do watch dvd's on the 30 incher through my pb, and its so far so good.

i'm upgrading to a powermac because my PB does not handle 8mp raw images gracefully in photoshop. A 2.3ghz PM should do the trick.

-- J.