DVD player 5 in leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PSUstoekl, Dec 11, 2006.

1. PSUstoekl macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2006
    I was recently thinking to myself how apple could improve this somewhat simplistic program that I've no doubt many of you use on a very regular basis. My suggestions, in order of preference:

Full HD-DVD/Blu-Ray compatibility (this means DTS, TrueHD sound as well)
    Retooled window/on-screen controller
    Integration (maybe even transparency) with Front Row 2.0
    Divx etc. compatibility out-of-the-box
    Delicious Library-like features, possibly?
    More advanced sound and picture level settings (create a theater-like experience)
    Use of Core Image in neat ways (on-screen effects/ripples, etc.)

What say you guys?
  2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I would very much like an on-screen controller like the latest version of VLC has. The controller that pops up now is a little intrusive, I feel. I do like the overall feel of the program, though yeah, a few more options for customization would be nice.
  3. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    The only feature I want is something that automatically detects letterboxed video and crops accordingly. It's a bit annoying to have to manually change the settings all the time.
  4. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    yeah i hate the controll panel.

i would also like it if it read dvd-r's properly, as you have to go through the open media menu at the moment
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Yeah...this, as the whole issue of aspect ratios is complicated by the slow switch to widescreen (and the lack of a standard definition of a wide AR). It would be nice if there were a simple way (not just in DVD Player for that matter) to allow media in any AR to appropriately fit the screen. I do like the Front Row thing too, I think... and iTV integration. :D
  6. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    never used it, disabled it when i got my first mac, it lacks of functionality, not flexible, difficult to control, really wonder why anybody would use it, :D
  7. Spock macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2002
    Whos to say Frontrow 2.0 is not going to replace DVD player?