DVD Player and Regional settings

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cosi, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Cosi macrumors newbie

Is there a way to 'unlock' the regional settings in DVD Player? I only have 1 shot left at changing the regional code? Any assistance here would be highly appreciated - i enjoy watching Region 1 & 2 DVD's. :D :eek:

2. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

I don't think there is, but you could just use VLC. It's free, and multizone.

PS: OR you could fight their fascist and arbitraty region codes, not to mention the non-requested, non-skipable advertisement, by using pirated disks ;)

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't know what the laws are like in Australia, but you should be able to "region flash" your drive so that the 5-change limit is no longer in effect. It's legal to do this is NZ, I'm assuming that Australia is the same.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yep, I'm 99% sure you're right, unless the laws have changed very recently. :)

5. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

How would I go about doing this on my PowerBook? From what I gather, there's no patch for the Matshita UJ-835E. I read somewhere that an Apple Service Provider can reset the drive so that you can change the region five more times. Apparently you only get five sets of five region changes before it's totally locked. Is there any truth to this?