DVD Player FFWD Not Permitted - Bogus!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pubwvj, Jun 2, 2005.

1. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

I just sent this to Apple Feedback but would like to submit it to MacRumor readers as it is a real bother that Apple could fix. Write Apple and ask them to fix this.

"It is completely bogus and an infringement on my rights to control my viewing experience that the DVD Player does not let me skip forward over previews or other parts of a movie that I don't want to see. I know you're going to say something lame like "but that is how the DVD is setup and it has nothing to do with the DVD Player software." WRONG. You can circumvent the publisher's locks and just ignore them. Let the viewer always skip forward, fast forward, menu, etc. The publisher should not be able to force the previews on the viewer. If I want to skip forward to the real movie I should be able to do so."

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Yeah, but if the software can circumvent these locks, then Apple has to worry about a bigger problem than an upset viewer. In fact, Apple might even have their DVD rights revoked if they break certain functions.

Try re-ripping the DVD to get rid of navigation lock-outs and all the other nasty stuff.

3. neut macrumors 68000

neut

This is true. Lacero is right; ripping may be your best bet pubwvj.

Apple implemented this for a reason ... to not piss off Holwwood. :)

pubwvj- why not search for a third-party player that will let you do so ... does one exist? i don't have the time to search for one right now.

Apple can't please everyone, but they've done a pretty good job so far. This sound like a battle similar to the record companies and DRM. it doesn't have to be there, but the big boys like it that way.

Im sure there's a worthless e-petetion out there somewhere ...

peace | neut

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

did you ever think apple may be trying not to infringe on the rights of someone else? do you believe since you own a media that you should be able to watch how you like it in what ever way? what about using technology to help curve crime? Perhaps putting a warning in a section of a dvd that you can't fast foward? that why that section was there. it just got abused, by the studios. so who do you think is to blame? apple or the movie studios?

5. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

well, if you cant forward through it on a dvd player than there's no reason why you should be able to do so on a computer..

then again, it is damned annoying. dont the dvd producers realise they're just going to piss us off more by adding these things..?

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

not all dvd players let you fast foward through that section.

7. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

my bad, my sentence was worded terribly. what i was trying to say was:

you cant forward through it on your dvd player. so apple doesnt *have* to let you forward through it on your mac. it's just the way it is.

they have to keep the movie studios/hollywood in general happy if they want to launch the imovie video store or whatever.. :)

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

oops

9. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Ah yes, miscommunication ... the downfall of humanity. What's that, "We the people ..." you want to watch previews before a you watch a DVD that you've purchased? OK. No problem; we'll give you previews, warnings, logos, commercials ... all free of charge. :p

peace | neut