Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Hi,

We have a Dual 867MHz G4 MDD (combo drive) running OSX 10.2.8. We're in the UK, which is Region 2 for DVD's.

Somehow (probably by accidentally playing a Region 1 disc) the drive is stuck on region 1, and refuses to be changed to region 2.

When I click on "Set region now", I get the attached error message. When I click on OK, the region 2 DVD gets ejected.

How can I set the G4 so as it will play region 2 DVD's again?

Thanks for the help :)

Attachments

• Error -70001.jpg
    Error -70001.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 531

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Try using VLC media player, it overlooks the region coding or something spooky like that but it works, I use DVDs from all over on my iBook and it's never missed a beat.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Is ther any solution that will overcome this error message and set my DVD player back to its correct region?

I'd rather have a DVD player set to the correct region than have a piece of software that bypasses it.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
According to Apple you can change DVD Player's region code 5 times. After that it stays on the last one and will not change again. Perhaps that is what happened with your machine? Maybe reinstalling DVD Player or the entire System software would reset it and it would start over.
Good luck!

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
You must read further....

Region free player, you must flash firmware. There are no software fix's (that I know of). RPC1.org is the best place to the find the info you seek. Might need a PC to do it tho.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Stampyhead said:
According to Apple you can change DVD Player's region code 5 times. After that it stays on the last one and will not change again. Perhaps that is what happened with your machine? Maybe reinstalling DVD Player or the entire System software would reset it and it would start over.
Good luck!

According to the error messages I attached to my earlier post, I have four changes left, so it can't be on the last one.

I'm a bit reluctant to re-install the system software just to correct this one problem - I fear something else may go wrong!

RGunner said:
Region free player, you must flash firmware. There are no software fix's (that I know of). RPC1.org is the best place to the find the info you seek. Might need a PC to do it tho.

I don't want region free, I just want region 2, instead of region 1.

We're considering buying an internal DVD burner to go in the spare optical bay. I assume if we got a new DVD burner and put it in the bottom bay it'd be able to read region two discs?

giomla

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
error "-70001"

Anyone still experiencing "70001" problem? i might have a solution....at least it worked for me...

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
thomasp said:
According to the error messages I attached to my earlier post, I have four changes left, so it can't be on the last one.

I'm a bit reluctant to re-install the system software just to correct this one problem - I fear something else may go wrong!

I don't want region free, I just want region 2, instead of region 1.

We're considering buying an internal DVD burner to go in the spare optical bay. I assume if we got a new DVD burner and put it in the bottom bay it'd be able to read region two discs?

Huh....wait, so instead of using software that lets you play dvds from anywhere in the world you'd rather spend 60, 70 pounds just to have a region 2 setting? And you're not even sure if installing a new DVD player will work? Well, it's your money, but VLC player is the easier route, and everyone who has it says it works great, it works great for me.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Do you have another computer around a desktop mac or pc or one you could use? If so take the drive out of the computer and put it in another one, then try to change it. region codes are stored internally inside the drive so it should carry over.

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
Make a region free version of your DVD with Mac the Ripper and save to your Harddrive or put on a dvd.
Or go to PCWorld buy a DL DVD burner such as the Philips R1660P1 for £34. Worked a treat for me, uberfast burning can't be beaten compared to that combo drive, at least it was for me.

shaolindave

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2006
same problem

i'm having the same exact problem with my 1st gen intel imac. except i have 3 changes left, and it's changed from region 1 to region 3. using vlc isn't really good enough for me, i really prefer to use front row. same error message too, error: -70001

figboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
Solution please ?

Anyone still experiencing "70001" problem? i might have a solution....at least it worked for me...

Hi my son is in Italy experiencing exactly the error code you talk about 7001, associated with changing the region code and possibly exceeding the limit of 5 ? Any help gratefully received.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Hi my son is in Italy experiencing exactly the error code you talk about 7001, associated with changing the region code and possibly exceeding the limit of 5 ? Any help gratefully received.

What operating system are you running? I found upgrading to Tiger solved the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.