DVD Player Nutty after 10.4.9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by failsafe1, Mar 15, 2007.

1. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Upgraded to the latest yesterday and thought everything was good. Now none of my DVD-r or DVD-R will play. DVD player comes up and sits there. When I press play I get the not supported disc error message in the player window. I just repaired permissions and this did not fix it. It is funny that one of the benefits of the upgrade was supposed to be better DVD playback. Bummer.

2. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

3. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Yes. Restarted, repaired permissions, and trashed prefs. Now I am using VLC as my DVD player default because it does not care where my discs came from.

4. GoofballJones macrumors newbie

Does the DVD come up on your desktop, so that the OS sees it and it's just the player that's not recognizing it? Or is it not even coming up at all?

Never-mind, you already answered that as VLC sees it.

What about Front-row?

5. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Interesting question. I will try front row.

6. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Still having trouble with DVD Player under my Intel Machines (two Macbook Pros) but decided to pop a DVD-R I recorded into my G5 and DVD Player worked fine. It came up and played the disc. Both the PPC and Intel version of DVD player are the same. So what would be the trouble that the same piece of software acts differently on two different platforms? The only difference is 10.4.8 on the PPC and 10.4.9 on the Intels.

7. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Just replaced my cheap DVR unit with a different brand from Circuit City. This cleared up the playback issues I had. So apparently it was a DVR issue not a 10.4.9 upgrade problem?