DVD Player Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobber205, Apr 18, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I have some DVDs that just aren't seen to be working in my mini mac.

They're all from the same manufacturer, in a series.

The first one worked. The second doesn't. The third and fourth ones do.

I tried putting the second disc in my old Powerbook laptop, but it just froze. I had a heck of a time getting the dvd out.

In my mini the system doesn't freeze. I've looked on the data on the second dvd and compared it to the ones I know work.

The data looks the same!

What could be going wrong? I paid alot of money for these DVDs... I would ask for my money back... but the company is no longer around. :(

Any ideas?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Is the second DVD dirty or schratched?

You could try viewing it with VLC. That's what I do with DVDs (rentals of loaners from the public library) that has seen better days and tend to freeze up my stand-alone DVD player and even cause DVD Player on my iBook to freeze. VLC usually just coughs a bit and plays happily on when you tell it to dismiss further errors.

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    ya, try and rip the DVD with Mac the ripper (free app), and then reburn it with Toast or Popcorn if you have those apps.

Or, see if you can create a mountable DMG out of the DVD disc in Disc Utility.

if you can rip it with Mac the Ripper, then you can watch the resulting foder it will create with the DVD player in your cpu by manually pointing the DVD player at the Video_TS file that mac the ripper will create for you.

hope that makes sense.

4. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Thanks for the advice. It's too bad I won't be able to use the VLC advice until tomorrow.

(dial-up:eek: )

5. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

VLC Not So Good

Ok. I tried VLC. I first tried it out with my video I made for school. And I think the quality might be slightly better than quicktime 7.0

But when I tried opening the video folder on it, my mac messed up majorly. All kinds of temporary freezes and stuff like that. I even had to restart (not soft or hard, just regularly).

I'm scared to try opening it as a DVD. Something must be weird. The dvd that is working is less fuzzy looking or "messed up" than the one that is messing up.

:confused:

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

...except that is illegal.