DVD player Region Changes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mashinhead, May 1, 2006.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I am playing a region 2 dvd, europe. It prompted me to change the region of the dvd player and said i had 4 changes left only. If you finish those 4 changes what happens? can you reset it. Is it stuck on the last region you set forever? Does reinstalling the os reset the count? why do they restrict it? is it changing the region setting on the optical drive or just the software (DVD Player)

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

If you use all the changes, you will be stuck in the last setting.

The setting is in the optical drive as far as I know. It's difficult or impossible to reset. At least I don't know how.

The reason why it's there is that the content providers (movie industry) demand that it be there.

3. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

what region is US, or North America, and can you change the settings in system preferences on your own, or do you have to put in a dvd for that region and be prompted? If you can change it on your own how do you do that?

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I can't find any obvious place to change the setting manually.

You may also find that VLC can play DVD's while ignoring the region setting entirely.

5. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

6. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

One thing that annoyed me was I bought my iMac in England, at the Apple Store, but the drive region was wrong; it was region 1! Region 2 is needed in England...:(

7. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Do you mean it was 'stuck' on region 1?

8. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

No, I could change it. What I thought was unfair is that you have to lose one region switch. If they sell it in England, why not set the drive region code as an English region? Doesn't make sense, eh?

9. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

I'm with you now. I can't remember whether my drive was pre-set when I bought my Mac; I seem to recall that it prompted me to choose the initial region setting when I first inserted a DVD.

In any event, MacTheRipper and various other apps thankfully make region coding irrelevant.

10. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

If you buy an external DVD player (like the one with firewired powered unit), can you make that external one, say, a region 2, while keeping the internal DVD the same (for US model, region 1). I prefer messing with the external DVD player than the internal one. If I need to watch region 2 DVD, I would rather buy an external DVD player and set it as region 2 (or any other region).