DVD Player Troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by magnolia1240, Sep 17, 2002.

1. magnolia1240 macrumors newbie

I am having a little problem with my DVD Player (3.1.1) under OS 10.2. Everything was fine with it until I upgraded to 10.2.

Every time I click to launch DVD Player it starts to load and then about 3/4 of the way through it stops and automatically quits. I don't get any error messages. I don't even get a "bleep."

The little arrow underneath the app icon in the dock starts to blink but then tops and the app never loads.

Anyone hear of this problem? Have any solutions? Suggestions? I have tried everything I know to try, even after consulting everything humanly possible in the Knowledge Base, but still come up short.

And all I want to do is watch the "Simpsons Season 2" DVD. Thanks.

Magnolia1240

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

If you did a system update that was your first mistake. The only way to install 10.2 properly is to do a clean install.

To fix your problem try booting up on the 10.2 cd and opening Disk Utility. Have it fix permissions and check the disk. This wil probably fix it.

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Re: DVD Player Troubles

I think it's a problem with the "Simpsons: Season 2" DVD. Every DVD I has plays fine, but I can never get "The Simpsons" to play on ANY computer DVD player. It won't play on my mom's Dell, and it won't play on my iBook. I think the DVD is encoded different, and can't be played by some computer players.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: DVD Player Troubles

Which DVD of the set is it and I will test it in my computer. I also have the Simpsons DVD's.

5. magnolia1240 thread starter macrumors newbie

DVD Continued

Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate them.

In reponse to the first post. I tried what you suggested and I was still unable to get the DVDs to play. Same problem as before. I think I may be missing a file somewhere in my "System" folder.

To the other guys who responded. I don't think its a problem with the "Simpson, Season 2" DVD. The same problem exists no matter which DVD I play. I have a sizable collection of about 200 DVDs. I've tried about 50 of them, ranging from production studio to year it was released. I tried some DVDs from people like Fox and Warners and stuff like that. I have also tried DVDs released many years ago, to the "Lord of the Rings" DVD, which we all know is fairly new. None of them work.

I have heard of that problem, since my troubles, with the "Simpsons" DVD on other people's system. It won't play in my roommates Playstation 2 either. I don't know what the problem is with that DVD, you are right, probably encoding issues.

Thanks for your help, guys.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Similar Problem in 10.1

I encountered a similar problem when using 10.1.x. I solved it by deleting my DVD preferences file (in ~/Library/Preferences). It will be called somthing like com.apple.dvdplayer.plist.

7. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

speaking of dvd problems...

i can play commercially sold dvds, but i cannot play my idvd-made dvd.

i tried it on my g4 tower, no go. i tried on my g3 imac (naturally with dvddrive), no got. i tried it on my sister's ibook and it worked!!

someone mentioned, a clean install, all 3 were cleaninstalled.

all 3 macs have dvd player 3.2 installed, all have jaguar installed, i cannot pinpoint the problem out.

anybody with ideas?

thx.

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

do the idvd burnt dvds play on other macs? (ie, other peoples')?

if not. you should talk to apple. maybe it's aproblem with the burning process, rather than the viewing process..?

9. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i was able to read the idvd video on my sister's ibook 500.

can it be possible that the idvd disc spins in a certain speed and my dvd-drive cannot spin fast enough for the idvd video.

can anyone confirm this?

i have to admit i have a 450 mhz g3 imac and a 400 mhz g4 tower.

---

question: does anyone know, if i just could upgrade my dvd drive?

10. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

You can just get a new DVD drive and put it in your Mac. You need to search companies like Sony's websites, to find one that says it will work on a Mac. Toshiba is the only company I know for sure that does Mac drives.