DVD Player

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikey.c, Mar 15, 2005.

1. mikey.c macrumors member

mikey.c

I wanted a zone free DVD player so I down loaded vlc,
    It worked ok, then my iMac DVD player nolonger let me
    change zones, I'm zone 4 and the DVD player is now stuck on zone 1.

So I thought thats fine I'll just use vlc, however when I put zone 4 disc in,
    my imac DVD player takes over and tells me to eject the DVD.
    so I removed DVD player and all its files from my imac.

vlc would not work, so I removed it from my imac and redownloaded it.
    it still wont play, I get These massages.
    if I put a zone 4 disc in it says "acces_file:read failed (input/output error)"
    if I put a zone 1 disc in it says "acces_file:read failed (permission denied)"

Please Help.. all I want is to watch my DVDs.

2. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

I think this is only for Apple's DVD Player, but... it might help:

In order to watch DVDs from another region as many times as you want, you need to change the region of the actual drive. There is hacked firmware you can use, along with a program called "Region X" to change your DVD player's region as many times as you want.

VLC is supposed to bypass the region aspect of DVDs, but I'm not quite sure why it's not working for you.

3. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

If you threw out all of the files associated with DVD Player, you may have thrown out some software component needed to play a DVD video by ANY app that plays DVDs. The better move would have been to change the default of launching DVD Player when a DVD movie disc is inserted. Then it would have put the disc on the desktop and you could open it via VLC directly.

My guess is that now you have to put DVD player back on your computer. I don't know if this is downloadable from Apple or if you have to get it off your install disc.

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yup. Archive and install or extract that package from your CD. But if you threw out a bunch of stuff, not just the DVD player application, you may need to Archive and Install.

5. mikey.c thread starter macrumors member

mikey.c

Ok great, How do I do that ? (I have no idea) :confused:

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Insert Install Disk 1. Restart. Hold "C" key until you see the installer.
    At some point along the installation you can choose to do an Archive and Install. Very simple and easy. Just make sure you don't miss it!