DVD Players

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So, my second one in a few years has just died. What is it with these things - they just don't seem to last. The first one I had was a Sony and it would heat up and shut down right in the middle of the movie. So I bought a Panasonic next, and now it just plays something for a few minutes and then stops.

Has anyone had this problem? And what about recommendations on DVD players that don't break down. I'd like to get one that has component video, and that's the only real requirement.

D

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I've had a Sony DVD player (can't remember the model) for the past almost 7 years. No problems whatsoever.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other experience with other players - but now that these players are running about $50 each, do you really need to be concerned if they wear out in a year or two?

Edit: as a note, here's a JVC that meets your criteria for $60 at Best Buy.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i bought a very very think sony dvd player from costco about a year ago (around $75-$100)- never had any problems with it... maybe it's just bad luck?

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

probably bad luck. I'm going to go and get one today, unfortunately the only place with cheap ones is WalMart - its what happens when you live in a small town. I'd love to go get one at BestBuy or someplace like that to see a wider range of players.

D

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

What, UPS doesn't deliver to Warsaw? Huh, I could've sworn you could use that there "internet" thing to order stuff. Ah well, learn something new every day.

:p

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

before you get a new one, try cleaning the lens, that could be the issue with this one, at least thats what happened to my roommates DVD player.....

7. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

I've had my original Sony one that I purchased WAY back in the day. Got it around 1998 or so. Works like a champ! When I buy my next one, it'll prolly be that new Samsung DVDHD941 or a Panasonic DVDS77.

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Ditto on having good luck with the Sony DVD player. Don't know the model off-hand, but I think it was just their low-end model, probably around $100. Have had it for several years now and it works like a charm.

9. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

My 1st DVD player (about 5 years ago) was an AIWA and it still works. I only bought a new one because it wasn't able to play the extra discs for the Two Towers Extended Edition (and we can't have that, now can we :)). So I bought a Sony (something-725 I think) and it's been great. I think you just got unlucky.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

When your five region changes have been used up, can you get the thing reset? Legally? I'm not too keen on delving into firmware.