dvd question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by itsmatt2, Feb 1, 2003.

1. itsmatt2 macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2003
    Hi all, probably a silly newbie question. I burned a dvd thru my dvd recorder (panasonic e20) of some old family 8mm movies. I would now like to extract stills from the dvd into my ibook thru the dvd. Is this possible? The dvd player doesn't seem to have a screen capture feature. Also, can I convert portions of the dvd into a QT movie? Any help would be really appreciated. I'm a little over my head on this one. THANKS!
  2. Ajmbc macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2003
    I have heard of a screenshot program for DVDs, but for your QT problem, I have no idea.
  3. crazytom macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    You could buy the MPEG-2 component to Quicktime and import the MPEG-2 format and take stills from there. I haven't done this, but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.
  4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    for the stills... i believe "grab" or "snapz pro" are two apps that let you take screen shots of the dvd while it's playing... so you could do it that way

but to get both qts and stills... it kinda depends on your level of experience. ideally you'd have quicktime pro (in fact, you pretty much have to have it... well worth the 30 bucks)...

and there are a few apps that would allow you to extract the tracks...

if you feel confident enough that i could email you the apps and you could use them and figure it out, then let me know via pm what your email address is... otherwise, search around versiontracker.

the 3 apps i use are "osex" which extracts the video/audio. then there's an app to convert the vob video file to a quicktime readable format... and something to convert the audio to aiff or whatever.

ps. it's a question of getting the mpeg 2 OFF the dvd... not just getting it into qt.. though i'm not sure that would work. and it's one more thing to buy.