DVD-R burning question: 'Sessions'

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JDN, Mar 13, 2007.

1. JDN macrumors 6502a

I burnt a DVD-R just by dragging and dropping files into the empty finder window and then burning, however, i forgot a couple of bits. I only burnt about 1Gb of info onto the DVD-R so there is a lot of space left.

Is there any way to burn more info onto the same DVD-R in a new session or something similar? Do i need special software?

Cheers

2. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I think you may have used a DVD R- which you can only burn once. With a DVD R+ you can add more files (but not delete them).

3. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

you would have to have burnt a dvd rw in order to put more stuff on it...if it's dvd r than I think you can't burn it again

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unfortunately, once you've burned a DVD through the Finder, you can't add stuff to it later. Disk Utility can perform session burning, but the method used to do it is a little goofy. Look here.

5. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the input people.

Is there software that will let burn sessions on to DVD's easily? I don't like RW for backing up important stuff.

Also, is it true about DVD-R and DVD+R disks? Or can multiple sessions be burnt on to both with the right software?

6. bleachthru macrumors member

bleachthru

The easiest way that I have found to do this is with Toast Titanium, I am running version 6, but the same holds true for version 7 as well. All you have to do is click the green button located next to the burn disk button, and this brings up the recorder settings dialog box, click advanced and check the box that says write session. This will work on DVD+R or DVD-R. Also works fine with CDs. Hope this helps.

7. skwij macrumors 6502

There's definately a way to do this thru Finder, but I'll be danged if I can rememer how.

David Pogue's Mac OS/X - Tiger Edition outlined the way to do this, if I remember my research right.