DVD+R discs in new Powerbook - no problem!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TheMac19, Jul 10, 2004.

1. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Just picked up a pack of DVD+R discs on the cheap, and decided to give them a shot in my new powerbook (15" 1.5ghz superdrive). I had read several posts here debating DVD-R discs versus DVD+R discs, since the powerbooks drive is a DVD-R.
    Well, long story short, I burnt to the DVD+R discs without any problem at all. Furthermore, I also played the burnt disc in a year or two-old Sony DVD player and it worked fine as well. So for anyone with a new powerbook, I can confirm that the 825 drive in the new powerbook will burn to DVD+R just fine. (I was quite surprised with how fast it burnt it too!)
    I used Toast 6.0 to do the deed, and burnt about 1.5gigs of photos and videos to the disc. I haven't tried it with iDVD yet, but I will. The discs I used were cheapies, I got 25 or 30 for $5 after a rebate at Staples a couple weeks ago. Specifically they are TEON DVD+R 4x.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm not at all surprised that using Toast worked, since the SuperDrives in modern Macs support DVD+R/DVD+RW as well as DVD-R/DVD-RW. However, Apple hasn't added support for the plus formats to Disc Burner, as far as I'm aware. I'd therefore expect iDVD to refuse to burn a DVD+R.

3. MontgomeryBurns macrumors member

I've used an aluminum 1.5 ghz's superdrive to burn dvd+rw discs with Finder.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't have any DVD+R or DVD+RW discs to test my theory with, unfortunately. I'm surprised and pleased that it worked for you. I believe other members haven't been quite so fortunate.

5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Sony backs the DVD+R format, no surprise here. What surprised me was the DVD+R I burned on my PC worked in the G4 MDD's superdrive, aka, Pioneer DVR-104. As you may or may not know, Pioneer backs the DVD-R format.

6. James L macrumors 6502a

DVD+R will work in the finder for data DVD's, but NOT in iDVD.

...there was quite a lengthy thread about this not too long ago.

7. smada macrumors member

I bought a pack of DVD+R's to use in my powerbook a few weeks ago. I'm aware of the difference between the +/- formats but I had forgotten which ones the powerbooks preferred, so I just guessed and grabbed the +'s. When I put them into my 1.25 Ghz aluminum powerbook it thought about it for a while and then spit the disc right out without even mounting. Is there a difference in drives between the 1.25 Ghz and 1.5 Ghz models? if so, is there any sort of firmware update or anything of that nature i could install to extend my drive's capabilities? by the way it is a MAT****A DVD-R UJ-816.

8. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I have the latest 12" PowerBook 1.33 with Superdrive. I thought it only supported DVD-R format. What is the summarized info on what I can do with the Superdrive? I don't use iDVD and use Toast Titanium. Can someone explain if I can work with DVD+-R and DVD+-RW?
    Thanks in advance.

9. James L macrumors 6502a

disc utility will tell you what your drive can burn, and yes, the drive is different!