dvd-r help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by homeshire, Feb 19, 2004.

1. homeshire macrumors regular

i'm not sure this is the right spot, but i have a problem, and this seems the most likely place for it.

i've recently discovered that apple is no longer manufacturing 2x dvd-r discs. they have switched to 4x only. 4x will burn in my older superdrive, but only at 1x speed. why should i go with half the speed?

so my question is, if i don't go with apple, who should i go with, and where can i find them? i've heard imation, verbatim and a few others are good quality, but i have had a hard time finding them. also, it's a sad world when apple seems to be the price leader. their 4x are going for $9.99 per 5 pk., and i cannot beat that price at the places i've looked. even for 2x, where i've found them. can anyone steer me to a good place to find good disks? thanks

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    are you sure you can't burn at 2x? i know some ppl are still able to use 4x dsics and burn at 2x, i havent tried it myself but it heard its been done.

3. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

i called the apple store today and asked for the definitive answer on that question. they told me definitively you cannot burn 2x, only 1x. so i'm looking for other options.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i guess that settles it. i get my dvd-r and cds from a local shop back in manila they have lots of generic dvd-r that run at 2x so i dont have a problem yet