DVD-R Mat****a UJ-815 (Superdrive) won't read certain DVDs

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cwestcott, Mar 8, 2004.

1. cwestcott macrumors newbie

Mar 8, 2004
    I am currently living in China, bought my 15'' PowerBook G4 at the new Michigan Ave. Store, in Chicago, Fall 93, before I came here. Love it. I have been working here for almost half a year and the only way I can watch American movies is to buy DVDs and watch the on my PowerBook. What is odd is that about 20 percent of the DVDs do not appear on the desktop when I put them into the drive. I can hear the drive spin but the DVD player doesn't auto open like the rest of my movies and I have to manually eject the disk with the f12 key. I can play the DVD on my friends DVD player but it won't play on my computer. And this is just for specific disks. I can't find a pattern or a difference in the disks either. They all say DVD in the inside ring. I found a firmware update that will convert my supperdrive to a RPC-1 (region free) drive, thinking this maybe a region issue, but still the same.
  2. iN8 macrumors regular

May 29, 2002
    The Bahamas
    I have had a similar problem. My uncle is from Hong Kong and he brought back a few DVD's not knowing that they will not play in his DVD player he purchased in the US. They are audio DVD's so he asked if I could rip the audio off them and burn it to CD so he could listen to them. Of course I had to change the region of my drive for them to work. Sometimes when I mount it and go to dismount the icon disapears, but the drive wont open to spit the disc out. I have also had the problem of it not mounting. Also, sometimes the same disc will work and sometimes it wont. Let me know if you find a fix.