DVD-R or DVD+R....?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by t300, May 3, 2004.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

My Powerbook with Superdrive is coming soon and I was going out last night to buy some DVD media so I can use it right when I get it but then I realized that I didn't know what the Superdrive supported. So I came home and now ask you all this...DVD-R or DVD+R?

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

3. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Thank you very much......So I assume DVD-RW as well?

4. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Unfortunately not--SuperDrives don't support rewritable DVDs. Only DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW. (And, of course, CD-ROM and DVD-ROM)

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yes they do. I use RW's all the time with my Superdrives, including usage with the "i" applications.

6. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I heard that the drive actualy is a DVD-RW but Apple disabled it. I heard that Toast lets you do it, but I haven't tried this myself.

P-Worm

7. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I could be wrong--I thought the SuperDrive was a DVD-RW with the -RW disabled (as mentioned in here), but maybe you can use RW discs. I haven't tried it.

8. Soire macrumors regular

I'm sorry, I know this has been asked a thousand times, but do superdrives support dvd-r AND dvd+r ? Meaning that I can use blank "-" and "+" discs interchangeably on a G5? Thanks. :)

9. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I don't believe so-- I think you can only use DVD-R, though I've heard some people have had some luck using DVD+R.

Then again, I might be wrong again :rolleyes:

10. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

:)

The Superdrives fully support -R and -RW.

As for the "+" formats, they aren't supported by the "i" apps, but you can burn them using Toast or something similar.

11. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I can confim this on my 1.5 15". I tested a couple of write/erase DVD-RW disks I had to be sure.

Kimo

12. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

DVD+R discs do not work in the superdrive. I have tried several times with several different types of + discs. Stick with the DVD-R discs. Don't know about DVD-RW however.

13. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

You should be glad that it's a -r. A friend of mine has a +r burner in his Windo*cough* um... computer and when he burned a dvd+r he tried to play it in his DVD players (he has about 5) and none of them read the disk. I'm surprised to hear that the superdrive also burns -rw! Didn't know that. Anyway, good luck with your new Mac.

JOD8FY

14. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Hi this is my first post here as I have been watching you guys for a while now. I am quite sure the hardware for the superdrive supports -RW but have not yet confirmed it.

Attached Files:

15. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Assuming he burned it correctly, the support is dictated by the player and not by the burner. I found this out the hard way. I backed up some movies and tried playing in my 3 year old panasonic and after some time, the sound would be off-sync...So I tried -R, +R, -RW,+RW and nothing would play correctly. Finally I got this player and found that all my movies work beautifully!