DVD-R question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by GyroFX, Aug 24, 2003.

1. GyroFX macrumors 6502

I bought some Fujifilm DVD+R discs today and when i put them in my superdive, the 2X speed ones, the disc does not appear on the desktop, and gets spat out in like a min. I don't know if i'm suppose to go through some program or is it cuz it's not formated...i have no clue. I tried the same thing with the DVD-Rs which originally came with my computer and it worked fine. Any suggestions will be helpful. THANX

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

the superdrive doesn't burn + media. only - media. that would explain it :D

3. GyroFX thread starter macrumors 6502

ok thanx...i guess i'll just have to return these DVD+Rs. That sux...why can't the Super Drive burn +'s?

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

its just the spec of the machines. + is just another Sony pushed spec that is actually seeing support. I really don't see the point as - boasts better compatibility and they all burn relatively the same speeds. its all marketing.

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Think of the + and the - as two competing formats, much like how beta and VHS duked it out in the 80's. I believe the (-) format was developed first and used by Pioneer.

Btw, did the same thing too, bought + format DVD's without knowing. Sure thought all DVDR's were created equal, boy was I wrong.

6. Bear macrumors G3

Pre recorded movies, DVD-R's and DVD-RW's all bear a DVD logo somewhere on them.

DVD+R and DVD+RW's do not bear a DVD logo on them. They are not truely a DVD format. They are just the same size discs.

Oh and in this case, it's not Sony who is pushing it. Sony just made the first drive to be able to deal with both +R and -R media.

It is Phillips who first pushed the +R format.