DVD+-R/RW Recorder

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by colinp, Dec 23, 2005.

1. colinp macrumors member

My gf is thinking of picking up a DVD+-R/RW external recorder drive for her Powerbook (I knew she should have picked up the Superdrive when she bought the thing!) and i was wondering if you guys have any recommendations...?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

High probability that you will need to use PatchBurn to get it working with iApps and Finder burning.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I bought a Pioneer DVR-109BK drive (EOM version) and installed it into a Bytecc 340U2F case. Had to use Patchburn to make it work natively in Panther, but I don't think that Tiger needs the patch to work. Toast also works well with it.

4. colinp thread starter macrumors member

PatchBurn eh? I'll have to look into it. Is it a problem of lack of support for OS X on most burners or what?

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I *think* it has more to do with OS X than with your hardware. Apple prefers for you to have an internal SuperDrive, and doesn't support writing to anything else. PatchBurn is a patch to the OS to fix this I believe (anybody know for sure?).

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. Dm84 macrumors regular

I built an external DL +/-RW burner by putting an NEC burner in an enclosure with a Prolific Firewire controller. It works great and doesn't need any additional software to work with Tiger. Panther is another story; you will need Patchburn in Panther.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

Sounds the same as my Pioneer experience (also using a Prolific chipset). I am currently using Panther on my main computer, but Toast 7 works great with it.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

In the past, I had very good luck with the Sony line of externals.