DVD+R+RW - soon to Mac?

Discussion in 'Community' started by IEatApples, Nov 30, 2004.

1. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Any rumors about a possible upgrade to the great :) Superdrive?

And a personal opinion: I think that the Powerbook and iBook should be of greatest importance to Apple, since this area is growing more and more popular.

Another note: How about iText/iWrite or something?

:) <I like apples of all flavours> :)

2. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I am currently using a TDK DVD-RW, DVD+RW and CDRW drive in my DP mirror drive G4. It writes all the popular disk formats out there. And it cost me around $100. I have written an iDVD project to DVD+R which did not play in my DVD player but fine on the Mac. The same project on DVD-R works fine in the DVD player, so I am not a big fan of DVD+R except that the media is cheap.

Anywho, if you are interested in putting an unsupported drive in your mac, visit the fine folks at xlr8yourmac.com

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have good news for you - most of the newer SuperDrives have the necessary hardware support for DVD plus media, and the support is enabled in Mac OS X 10.3. Apple just doesn't tell us that their SuperDrives can handle DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW just as well as DVD-R.

4. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

It's not the drives that don't support it, it's the software. My G5 has a Pioneer DVR-106 in it, which is compatible with -R and +R. You can't use +R media with the iLife software or with OS X's burning software, but as I recall, it works fine with Roxio Toast.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Is it just me, or have I heard scattered reports here that some people have had success burning +R and +RW using the built-in OS X burning software?

6. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

:confused: You mean I can burn CD+R+RW & DVD+R+RW? :confused: ?
    Why would'nt Apple talk about this?

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Apple is trying to be standards compliant, and +R formats aren't as widely compatible as -R formats. The -R formats can play in 99% of DVD players, even most older ones. With +R, that isn't so. For example we've got older DVD drives in some of the Dells here at school, that will play -R's but not +R's.

Maybe there's a firmware hack available or something? I don't know...I know I've never been able to. OS X just spits out the discs before they can even mount on the desktop.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Until Apple updates their iApps to support these formats, Apple won't promote them. Simple as that.

9. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I have a rev b PM G5 with a Pioneer DVR-107D (the original Apple drive). OS X Disk Utility reports the following:

Capabilities : CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

drutil info command returns:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D 1.20

Interconnect: ATAPI
    SupportLevel: Apple Shipping
    Cache: 2000k
    CD-Write: -R, -RW, BUFE, CDText, Test, IndexPts, ISRC
    DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, BUFE, Test
    Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

I've burned +r/w successfully with Disk Utility.

At this point (10.3.6), I think it's a matter of how old your Apple Superdrive is.

Apple doesn't tend to put out firmware updates for their drives. Especially if you have a Pioneer drive, you might want to look into FlashIt_Kit_2:

http://homepage.mac.com/asaxton/FlashIt_Kit_2.0.zip

And this MR forum topic:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-95700

10. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Sorry, I meant to add that the iLife apps in 10.3.6 have DVD+R DL support, although I haven't tested this myself (don't have a DL burner).

11. James L macrumors 6502a

As above... I have a 1.5Ghz PB. It burns DVD+R in the finder no problem, and I use them all the time for data DVD's.

iDVD, however, is crippled so DVD+R won't work for media DVD's. The problem, as mentioned above, is not the hardware in newer Macs... it is software driven.

If you use Disc Utility you can see a list of all the different DVD media that is recognized in the finder. It is quite extensive.

Cheers,

James

12. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I wasn't aware that iDVD didn't support +r/w, even though Finder does. I guess it's due to the -r/w format having better compatibility with older standalone DVD players. Apple doesn't want users think it's iDVD's fault when the media doesn't play.

Anyway, you could author the DVD using Sizzle. I suppose that would work, although I haven't tried it.