DVD-R Saying It's a CD-R?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tikibangout, Feb 13, 2006.

1. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

Hi, right now i'm in the process of burning a DVD with iDVD. Its encoding the video now, so I left it for a bit. So like 10 minutes later I come back and instead of the blank DVD-R I have in my iMac saying it's DVDR on the desktop, it says its a CDR. It's still titled 'Untitled DVD', but instead the CDR icon is showing up. Anyone know why?

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Intel or PPC iMac ?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are going to have to be just a little bit clearer. A .cdr is a DVD/CD master disk image file. If this is what you are seeing, then there may be nothing wrong. A recordable CD is a CD-R. What are you seeing? Is it a .cdr or a CD-R?

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

It could just be a wrong Finder icon. Just eject the disc and reinsert it. Even if it shows up wrong again, you will probably still be able to burn it as a DVD.

5. timmac macrumors member

I'm hijacking this thread because I had a similar problem this weekend. I would put a blank dvd+r in the superdrive, and a "CDR" icon would appear on the desktop. It was a picture of a cd with the letters "CDR" on it. I don't remember the exact label of the icon, but it was something like "New CD-R." Yet, if I clicked "get info", the size would be correct for the DVD, not a CD. I have an Intel iMac.

Anyway, every time I tried to burn to the DVD+R, I would get the following error immediately: "Burning the disc failed because an unexpected error occurred. (Error code 0x80020000)."

I tried this with several DVD+R's. They were all from the same pack (and were Memorex). Unfortunately, these are the only recordable DVD's that I have, so I couldn't try another brand. (I'm going to the store this afternoon, though).

FWIW, I can view commercial dvd's. A DVD+R (from the same pack) that I have partially filled up on my DVDR (attached to the TV) showed up as a DVD on the iMac, but according to the iMac, a blank DVD. Every blank DVD+R showed up as a CD-R as described above.

6. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

i have the same problem in OS 9 but in toast titanium in the disk info it shows the dvd +r disk as a 4.4gb cd-r and will error out at the lead in and lead ot part after it writes the data to it. and in OS X it say's the disk is not a writeable disk and it is blank. the drive i have and used is in my sig. and yea i can burn cd-r and cd-rw's in toast and i tunes and finder in OS 9 with a moded pioneercd authoring extention, and OS X with patchburn

7. timmac macrumors member

Figured it out

This is going to sound real stupid on my part, but I figured it out. The DVD's that weren't properly recognized were also not properly labeled. They had video on them and were not finalized. I found one that did not have anything on it, and it was properly recognized. I successfully recorded on it.

8. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

man i wish that was it for me. i cant burn dvd's at all in OS 9 or OS X.