DVD-R vs DVD-RW Discs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fartheststar, May 3, 2005.

1. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Hi,

I have a G4 MDD with DVD burning capability. Until recently I thought all I had to worry about was -RW and +RW. I know that I am looking for (MINUS) based on the drive that I have.

However, I saw two boxes at the store for MINUS....

DVD-R
    and
    DVD-RW

Does the 1st one just burn once and the other burn multiple times or is there something else different.

DVD-R was cheaper and I just want to make sure it'll work with my system.

Thanks

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

One and done for the R. The RW is can be erased and burned again and again.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, -R only allows you to burn to the disc once. -RW is Re-Writeable, so you can burn, erase, burn, etc. I use -RWs for monthly file backups...

4. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

note the write speed too

Additional note - buy the discs that are the same or lower speed than your drive. If your drive is 2.4x, there's no point in spending a lot for 4x or 8x discs (unless you have another faster burner or are planning to upgrade soon).

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, good point - no need to waste money. :cool:

6. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Yeah it will for sure work. Once difference is that the DVD-R can be burned into DVD format, so they can be played on any DVD player. DVD-RW can't.

Personally, I used DVD-R (I bought a 100 pack). They work out well for putting in my DVD recorder, and also for backups. They work well, because if you save them all your backups, you might be able to recover some files that were deleted, as if you erasing them all the time, they will be gone. Also, I personally think it's a pain to have to erease a DVD before being able to use it.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I agree - since DVD-R's are US$0.40 or less apiece, and since it takes time (worth more than US$0.40 to me) to erase them, I say use DVD-R's.

Just MHO.