DVD+R

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by G5Unit, May 21, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I have the a PowerMac G5 with a DVD-R Superdrive and I burned a DVD-RW data disk. How is this possible? I just bought 50 DVD+R and burn a data disk and it worked! I thought I only got a DVD-R drive. So I don't waste a DVD, can I burn Movie DVD's using my drive?

2. Brigrat macrumors member

My PowerBook came with a -r/-rw superdrive, and I was just in system profiler today, and noticed that under the "burning" tab it said that my drive was compatible with both + and -. I am certian it hasn't always said this, perhaps a firmware upgrade for the superdrives came with Tiger?

3. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Yea. A while back they releaced superdrive firmware that expanded the DVD compatabilities, adding +R and +RW. It must come with tiger.

And G5unit, yes, you can burn movie DVDs with your drive. iDVD is the app you're looking for.

4. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Yeh I know I can burn DVDs. But can I burn DVD+R (not data) movies using my drive. I don't know if there are compatability issues. I don't have tiger yet so thats why im confused.

5. BenAKL macrumors member

BenAKL

Yes. I did a system profile and found out that my Superdrive can handle DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+r and DVD+RW.

Sweet! :D

I tried all formats and it works like a charm :)

6. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

no firmware changes needed, my G5's superdrive did burn +/- R/RW from the start... I got the Pioneer 8x shipped with a rev A G5 whilst the first series rev A had matshita or sony 4X drives if I recall correctly and wasn't sure if they were -R/RW only I know the superdrives wich came with the G4 towers were -R/RW only...

7. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

So why dosen't apple advertise that on thier website?

8. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

Apple is one of the supporters of the DVD-R standard... thats why they promote that & thats why they sell -R data...

but since most drives become dual types... hey build them in their systems...

thats why there is DL in the Apple's now too... it arrived silently because its the +RW type...

J

9. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Thats a good question. I'm not sure how iDVD will react to a +R DVD. The firmware may be up to burning a +R dvd (ie. from the finder) but iDVD may still reject it. Then again, it may work no problem. How about you give it a try and tell us what happends? :D

10. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

Which brand of DVD+R would you recommend? A store near me is selling TDK DVD+R discs half-off. Are they a good brand to use? I tried some DVD+R DL discs from Memorex recently and they stopped burning part of the way through. I am now cautious about even single-layer discs now.