DVD reduced in size

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by daveli, Apr 12, 2005.

1. daveli macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I am new to this forum. I need help with burning DVDs with Toast 6. I have been burning DVD with Toast without any programs before. Most the content size is about 4.4Gb. But now when I am trying to burn I get a notice saying that the DVD does not have enough room. Needed 4.4Gb to brun. I have mounted the new DVD on desktop and the size I got was 4.28 Gb. How does this happened. The DVD is 4.7 Gb. I know I don't get to use all of 4.7, but why 4.28 Gb. How can I correct this? Please help. Thanks

2. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    If you're trying to burn a VIDEO_TS folder, make sure you have DVD selected from the other folder. If you're trying to burn a .iso or .cdr then make sure you have Disc Image selected. And another option, is to use Roxio Popcorn or DVD2OneX to shrink the size of the DVD to fit on a DVD-R.

3. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Suggestion:

Use the freeware Mac the Ripper to decrypt.

Then, use Popcorn to compress and burn the DVD.

As far as why a small (4.28 GB) DVD is no longer being burned in Toast, I have no idea.

I have seen Popcorn for as little as $18.00 on the web. Do some searching.

Hope taht helps.

4. homeshire macrumors regular

i could be wrong, as i'm no expert -- but there's nothing wrong with the information you provide. for as long as i've been burning with toast, that is how it works. it has to do with the conversion between 1 gig = 1024 ms, etc. 4.7 gets knocked down to about 4.28 in available and usable capacity.

5. daveli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your fast response and the info.

What I have been doing is using DVD2oneX to compress DVD movie to 4.4Gb and use Toast 6 to burn it. I have been do that for a long time without any problems until now. Toast never told me that I don't have enough room. What have changed to make it so. I have also try different make of DVD, same thing happened. I know I can compress the movie down more so it will work, but what happened. I hope this is not one of those mystery in life thing!

6. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I used to have all kinds of problems when I used Toast to burn video DVDs. I switched to using OSX's Disk Utility to burn them and have been happy. You have to run the VIDEO_TS folder through a little app called DVDImager though to get rid of hidden files. (otherwise the DVD wont play in commercial players).