DVD region free

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Syslik, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Syslik macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2006
    Does anybody know where i can find a patch for my MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857, so that i could watch any region or any software that can go around the dvd-region problem?????
  2. davegoody macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2003
    Reading, Berkshire, England
    Easy really . . . . .

Disable auto-run of the DVD player application that is bundled with OSX and use VLC (www.videolan.org).

As well as a really feature rich media player, it plays DVDs WITHOUT checking region code info. This means that you do not have to change your firmware to watch other region DVDs:p
  3. Syslik thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2006
    Disable auto-run of the DVD player application that is bundled with OSX and use VLC (

Unfortunately that doesn't work on the new macbook pro's
  4. pjo macrumors regular

Feb 20, 2006
    I'm curious about this. Don't have a(n?) MBP yet but does anyone have a clue as to why this is the case? Can say mplayer or xine (yes I know they're X based and thus fugly) handle the DVD regions?

Okay did some reading on this. The issue seems to be with the drives used by apple which do an extra check to match the region and the drive. If there's a mismatch they send along errors rather than the actual data!!! So ... VLC, MacTheRipper et al will only work if they can either change the region of your drive (you have 5 tries) or if the DVD you're trying to access is in the same region as the drive.

For those with the 17"MBP you could just replace the 12mm drive with a better behaved one but those with the MB or 15" MB may have to use external DVD drives.

Ridiculous if you ask me! Wouldn't that encourage someone to buy the pirated version rather than the original one?
  5. sunfast macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2005
    It's a hassle, but you could always rip the DVD with MacTheRipper and watch it. Or burn a region free copy.
  6. nakedguy macrumors member

Sep 30, 2006
    Didn't knew about that. I'll check that out when I got home!
    Thanks for the tip.
  7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

Feb 14, 2004
    Works OK on mine :confused:
  8. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

May 16, 2006
    Aarhus C, Denmark
    I've been looking for software to make back-up copies of one of my DVDs - an old one wich I'm sometimes having some trouble playing... I even all most bought Roxio Popcorn 2 but read in a Macworld review that it wouldn't copy encoded DVDs! Can MacTheRipper rip encoded DVDs and let you change the image size from double layer to single layer DVDs?

ps. sorry to kind of hijack the thread... :)
  9. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    MacTheRipper does not do transcoding, but it lets you delete features you don't need.