DVD Region Limiter

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Ven0m, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Ven0m macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me how can i turn that off???... i have lot´s of dvd´s from different regions and now my g4 is blocked in region 2 :eek:

Thanks in advance :)

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It may be illegal. ;)

With windows burners, you can sometimes find firmware that will play all regions. Then you use software to change the firmware to the specific region you currently want. I don't know if mac can do this.

Easier, get VLC . I'm pretty sure it plays DVD's of all regions.

3. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

it has been said, that in macosxhints.com, that there is a haxie for this. i never tried it. ng

i know it must be frustrating.

good luck.

4. zv470 macrumors 6502

I also know of a firmware hack... but it voids AppleCare so I never bothered. DVD Zones aren't a problem for me... I only rent zone 4 movies and for the movies you can't get over here (New Zealand) I suprnova ;) It's far less hassel.

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

If you can find a DVD-ROM drive which has a firmware hack available to make it region-free, and then install it into an external firewire enclosure, that may work. At least that way you're hacking the external drive and not your Mac.

6. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

As others have stated, you need to flash the firmware of your optical drive to remove the region protection. The region-free firmware should be readily available, depending on the model of your drive. I flashed the Pioneer 107D inside my Power Mac G5 with no problems. I was aware of the warranty issue, but figured that if something went wrong, I could always buy another drive. They're not that expensive, and I doubt that Apple would have a problem with you 'replacing a defective drive,' if you catch my drift.

However, much depends on the type of Mac. Optical drives are pretty easy to swap out on a Power Mac, but this would doubtless present more of a problem on an iMac or PowerBook. Many of my friends have updated the firmware on their PowerBooks, but I just want to echo the caution that others have expressed.

You would also need Region X, which knocks out the region protection at a software level.