DVD Remaster

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GoCubsGo, Jul 15, 2005.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So I think I need help.

I ripped a movie onto my hard drive with Mac the Ripper. Then I used DVD Remaster Pro and compressed the movie. i did not exclude any items. However, I asked it not to keep subtitles. Otherwise, I had no hand in extracting parts of the audio/video. Then I went to my folder which DVD Remaster created and opened it up. Inside was an Audio and Video TS folder. I right clicked on the Video_TS folder and used the option of "Toast It". Toast was opened. My settings were:

Under the DATA tab
    DVD-ROM (UDF)
    Verify Data (OFF)
    Simulation Mode (OFF)
    Write Speed (BEST) (I think I only go to 2x)
    Buffer Under Run is NOT checked because it was not an option for me to check.

What I am unsure about is I took the video_TS folder and dragged it into toast (the second time). Should I have opened the folder and then took all contents and dragged them into Toast? Does the root folder somehow affect it? When I stuck it in my player it said "no play" when I stuck it in my powerbook the disc was called "Video_TS" not what I expected.

The process on a mac runs about 100% worse than on PC. At this point I'm a bit annoyed, but still working at it. I have about 70 DVDs left. I plan to stop at 10 so I am obviously open to any and all suggestions that are somewhat logical!

2. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

I'm not too sure if I understand what you're asking for but if you've got a Video_TS folder, all you need to do is drag it into Toast as a Data Disc and select DVD-ROM (UDF). Burn away and you're done.

If it doesn't work then there actually may be a problem with the Video_TS file. You don't need to drag the Audio_TS file because it's usually blank so Toast will make another.

Has that helped?

EDIT
    Okay, I think I'm starting to get where you're coming from The contents of the Disc should be the Video_TS folder. Leave it as a folder. So it should be:

Disc => Video_TS => Contents

That should make it work. Have you tried that?

3. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yup! I have 5 movies on my hard drive all ripped with Mac the Ripper. None of the 5 have worked. I get the "NO PLAY" thing. When I tossed it in a windows machine it opened the folder and showed all the VOB files. From there I can click on them and watch the pieces of movies. But it does not play in any DVD player I have. I have two, one is 1.5 years old the other is from when DVD players first came out.

4. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

That's very weird because I used Toast all the time to burn Video_TS folders and have never had a problem.

Can you play the DVD through Apple DVD Player by going to "Open DVD Media"?

Have you been able to burn DVDs from Video_TS folder's with Toast before?

5. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is the first time I've tried this. well, first few times. I've done it a dozen times tonight, all failed.

I went to Apple DVD and no. It said it was an unsupported video type.

6. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Okay, well, that's saying something. Not sure what but if the VOB files were okay then DVD Player would have played them.

Maybe something funny has happened with Mac the Ripper. I can't really comment on that software though as I've never used it.

Anyone else out there able to help?

All I know is I burn Video_TS folders more than any other format when it comes to DVDs and I just drag the folder into Toast, seletec DVD-ROM (UDF) and burn away. Never had a problem. So I guess it's possible the encoding could be the problem.

I'm not much help, I'm afraid.

7. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you don't use Mac the Ripper, what do you use? I'm willing to do most anything it takes now. It's no longer a want, it's a mission!

8. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

As pathetic as it is in this day and age, I've never ripped a DVD. I use "Copy Disc" in Toast if it's a DVDr and if I'm making them, I export them as a Video_TS from DVDSP. I take it these are commercial DVDs from your own collection that you're copying?

9. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes. it was only meant to be one, but due to this silly issue I've just tried any of them.

10. jsarrasinjr macrumors member

When you burn the Video_TS folder in toast, is it actually creating a Video_TS folder on the new disk or are you making that the title for the project and just putting the VOB files on the disk directly?

11. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think the name is the issue. The name of the DVD. So now it is exactly how it was ripped movie_name_here like that.
    I am trying it now. Updates asap!

12. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

it was the naming of the disc that was wrong.
    So it worked now perfectly. Thanks all who helped!

13. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Hooray!!

Actually, when you mentioned renaming it, a did recall reading something to that effect a year or so ago when I had attempted to rip a DVD (before I had Toast so it was pointless). Nice to know that's what you do though.

May your future burns be successful. :)