DVD Ripping/burning help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by J-Low, Aug 25, 2006.

1. J-Low macrumors member

Any help much appreciated,

I have backed up Aeon Flux, using MTR main feature only extraction.
    The menus are intact and it plays perfectly in DVD Player.
    The Video_TS folder is 5.3GB in size.
    My problem is that the back-up has German (5.1) and Turkish (ST)soundtracks as well as 2 commentary tracks and 3 subtitle tracks.
    I fel that if I could remove everything except the English (5.1) and the English Subtitles I'd surely get to less than 4.7GB. which would allow me to burn an uncompressed DVD quality copy to a DVD-R.

Is there any way to do this?

2. J-Low thread starter macrumors member

Bump.

No ideas, anyone? I'm using a G4 iBook by the way.
    Let me know if I'm asking in the wrong section. I did perform a search but couldn't find an answer to my specific question.

3. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

obligatory, dont steal movies line.

i use popcorn (the jr. version of toast) to do this. before burning you can choose which video (main movie, extras, etc) and which audio (5.1, language, etc) you wish to include and it will compress if necessary.

i use it mainly on kids movies and leave just the main move and english audio with no menus so my wife can load it into her car dvd player and it will just play without her having to take her eyes off the road.

4. J-Low thread starter macrumors member

I'm just backing up my movies for travel (to put your mind at ease).

So, Popcorn will only perform the necessary compression, and that if the removal of audio tracks will bring it below the 4.7GB there won't be any compression of the video data?

What will happen to the Menus in that case, will they disappear or will just become non-functional?

I assume from your answer that there is no way I can identify and manually remove the Audio in the video_TS folder and than use DVD Imager and the burn Disk Utility?

I'm not being cheap. I just happen to have a lot of pretty basic DVDs (Stand-up comics) and such in in my collection that I would like to back up and I suspect that they just clear the 5GB mark after main feature extraction on MTR

5. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

Compression - if the file (either on its own or by removing video/audio pieces) is less than 4.7gb, then it is burned uncompressed. Anything over 4.7gb is compressed all the way up to 9.4gb and that will affect the quality. Or you can do up to 9.4gb uncompressed if you buy the 9.4gb DL dvds.

Menu - I cant answer your question. As I have either burned an exact copy with full menus or a super stripped version. Sorry. You may be able to do this in the full Toast version.

Doing it without Popcorn - I dont know. I havent played around with handbrake, isquint, or any of the the other video converters to see if this is possible. try a forum search and you may find this answer.