dvd ripping for media library?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by d_saum, Dec 30, 2006.

1. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Hey all,

Im wanting to back up all (or most) of my dvd's to a hard drive, but..... on a windows box. I have almost 700GB of storage available on it, and want to know the best way to rip the movies down so they'll be easy to play. Also, Im going to want to stream them from the windows machine to my mac (in front row when I get my new video card). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. d_saum thread starter macrumors 6502

d_saum

3. d_saum thread starter macrumors 6502

d_saum

and I can stream that through front row???? Thats where I'm getting confused.

4. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

5. d_saum thread starter macrumors 6502

d_saum

Hey thanks man. I appreciate it!

6. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

If you can find it, there was a freeware program called DVD Decrypter that was excellent. I know it got shut down but I recall that there was still copies out there not too long ago.

7. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I'd just rip them using MacTheRipper and store the resulting VIDEO_TS folders on the Windows machine. You can then mount it as a network drive from the Mac and open the VIDEO_TS folders from DVD Player.

The only trouble is that I don't think Front Row will automatically recognize these as valid media, so you can't use it to browse/navigate movies. You have to use the keyboard/mouse to open them from within DVD Player, which means you can't quite do it all from the comfort of the couch. Kind of a shame. Of course, once DVD Player has the movie open, the Apple remote does work.

8. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

DVD FAB DECRYPTER

Is BY FAR the best out there for windows.

It is freeware and it actively updated!