DVD Ripping program recommendation?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by neoelectronaut, Jun 1, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I used to use Handbrake for ripping my DVDs, but it doesn't seem to like my Invader Zim DVD. Can someone else recommend a alternate program I can give a shot?

2. NP3 macrumors regular

DVDBackup or OSEx. they both work great. DVDBackup requires that you play the movie through dvd player for about 30 seconds or so.

if you're looking to compress the video_TS folder to fit on one DVD, try using dvd2oneX.

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

4. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Now how would I convert .VOB files I got with OSEx to DIVX AVI files? Obviously they're not opening in Quicktime Pro.

5. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Side question...Can any of these applications rip movies at selected parts or chapters? I'm a teacher and sometimes like to show a clip within KEYNOTE instead of popping the whole movie... :)

6. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, I ran into that problem myself. For example, when I ripped my TMNT DVDs, it would string all three episodes together into one giant .avi. However, I just threw it in Quicktime Pro and split them up. Works wonderfully.

7. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

You can use OSEx to rip the Dvd then convert the vob folder with DivxRay in one click.

Divx.Ray

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, you can do this with MacTheRipper.

I recommend that you keep clear of 0SEx. Sure, it's easy to use, but it tends to give you corrupt files, eg. it corrupts the sound on some (all?) PCM discs.

9. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

all of the programs listed are for copying the dvd completely (e.g. no compression). Forty-Two is really one of the only alternatives, and it's not the easiest program to set up (i.e. requires more than just opening the application, yo uhave to install the frameworks etc.) but works fine for me (many people are unable to set it up correctly and complain of errors). Search MacUpdate.com for other alternatives.

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i use MacTheRipper and DVD2oneX to get the DVD to fit into 4.4GB.

you can also use FFmpegX to convert the DVD to an mpg or other format, i'm just installing that now, so i'll have a play later on.

11. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

MactheRipper is fast and great, but it spits out a worthless .vob file. Nothing plays .vob but VLC, so if I gave it to a friend they couldn't play it.

Also, I can't find a free program to convert it to a more managable format. Like DIVX.

12. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

There is a version of VLC for Windows, and a bunch of other operating systems too.

VLC

13. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I know, but I shouldn't make people download a separate media player to play a video.

14. live4ever macrumors 6502a

The new MactheRipper v2.0 was released just yesterday, it can extract individual titles from the DVD.

For DVD>mpeg4 video use the free Handbrake you can choose ffmpeg (much faster) or xvid.

15. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well, that's not quite right. if you're using MacTheRipper correctly you should end up with a '.VideoTS' folder containing the whole DVD-rip. i'm not sure what you get if you just rip chapters, havent' tried that myself.

also VLC can play the .VideoTS folder, with full DVD menus etc. and Apples very own DVD Player.app can open .VideoTS folders. :)

as for a free program to conver it, i'd recommend ffmpegX. i havent' used it yet, but it can conver to lots of different formats, and you have great control over all the settings. i've heard that Handbrake is very slow as well.

16. BORINGTAO macrumors newbie

After ripping

After ripping, I got a huge avi format document, is there any applications which can make it smaller? no matter about the finnal format, rm, wmv, mp4, anything will do

17. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Yeah, QuickTime Pro. $30, but I find it totally worth it because of so much customization and quality. Also useful for many other things.
    –Chase

18. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

FFmpegX 0.0.9L works wonders, I find. Crazy customization and stuff. It'll typically take your file and cut it down by 1/2, if not 1/4.

19. BORINGTAO macrumors newbie

Cheers mates!

Thanks, neoelectronaut and rendezvouscp. I try them later on.

20. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Make sure you update on your success/failure, and with any more questions.

Anywho, my new project is trying to find out how I can rip just audio from a DVD. I bought the Moby 18 B Sides CD today and it came with a great DVD with a live performance. I'd like to take that, chop the songs up, and play them through iTunes.

I guess I'll just rip the .vob file through Mactheripper, and use ffmpegx to rip JUST the audio....hmm...

21. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

22. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

what about...

Has anyone tried FastdvdCopy 2? i havent, and it costs 100$, but it looks good. I have been reluctant to start ripping DVDs because of being unsure about software, but i would like to start. ( www.fastdvdcopy.com )
    ~Nate13

23. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

you could do everything fastcopy can do for $30, but it's not "one-step" (really two since you'll need to switch DVDs for blanks).

24. NiQ-Toto macrumors newbie

Ok, mactheripper is great, but what can i use to get the file to a smaller size, say, 700MB? I dont have a dvd burner, but i want to put this onto a disc.

Thanks,
    Nick

25. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Use Handbrake for this, and choose target size 700mb (which is on by default).