DVD Ripping Speed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jamie329, Sep 4, 2005.

1. jamie329 macrumors member

I'm using MacTheRipper to backup one of my DVD's, and it seems to be taking a long time to rip. It takes about 45 to 60 min. to rip just the main feature. I am using a 12" Powerbook 1.5 Ghz with 8x Superdrive. It seems like this is a rather large amount of time to rip a dvd. Anyone have any ideas on this ?

2. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I think that your timing is good, for a 1,5GHz processor.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree w/ Soulstorm; my 2.0GHz iMac takes about 30-40 mins (I think, it's been awhile since I last did it).

4. cwright macrumors 6502a

I'll bet it has more to do with the DVD drive than the processors... My dual 2ghz G5 takes an average of 8 minutes to rip the main feature of a DVD. Assuming DVD drives are the same, just having a 2nd processor (compared to your iMac at 30min) shouldn't make it that much faster...

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That actually makes a LOT of sense because last time I ripped two movies onto my then PB for a long road trip-- the first one only took 26ish minutes, the second one took closer to 40 minutes! So it makes sense that the DVD drive is the limiting factor-- it got too hot or because I tend to animate inanimate objects; it got tired. ;) :D

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

My 1.4GHz G4 with a Pioneer DVR-107D (8x) took 23 minutes to rip Master and Commander (7.6GB) yesterday, full extraction.

I would have thought your Powerbook would rip faster - Before I upgraded my G4 it took around 40 minutes to rip DVDs, with dual 533MHz processors and the same DVD-R drive.

Do you have the performance settings turned all the way up?

EDIT: I've ripped several DVDs in a row and they all took roughly the same time - no slowdowns after one or two.

7. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

:confused: Ripping DVDs with Handbrake on my 1.8 G5 takes hours.. like 3!

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I've noticed that Mac THe Ripper is really slow (or, alternatively, the way OS X reads data from optical media). On my wifes PC, which has an old DVD-RW (2x DVD-R write speed, and I'm guessing about 12-16x read speed... so not any faster or slower than my mini's SD should be) I can rip AND compress a DVD to 4.3gb size in about 18-28 minutes. On my mini, which has about the same speed CPU (1.42ghz G4 vs 2ghz P4) the rip takes about 25-30 minutes, and then the compressing takes about 10-25 minutes depending on the disc sizes in question.

Programs in question are DVDShrink and MacTheRipper/Popcorn. Oh, and FYI, it takes you so long with Handbrake because you are also recompressing the movie into another video codec.

9. cwright macrumors 6502a

Yea it does on mine too... extracting a Video_TS folder from a DVD is very different than compressing in Handbrake. Handbrake is compressing to a different codec... on my G5 it takes all day if I do H.264 two-pass encodes, while the MacTheRipper rips still only take 8 minutes

10. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

On my PB (Ti 1GHz, 1GB RAM, SD) it took around 50-55 minutes for me the other night. I copied three, and they were all in that range. On my PM (2.7GHz, 2.5GB, SD) it usually takes under 20 IIRC.

11. jsarrasinjr macrumors member

Slow for a new drive

I have one of the Pioneer 109 drives that I used to replace my old 2x superdrive when it kicked, and even that takes about a half hour to rip a dual layer disk (about 7gb). I think proc speed has a lot more to do with it.
    Although I do have a fairly oldish system (MDD dual 867, 1.75gb RAM).

I use mac the ripper btw

12. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, with my external LaCie it takes about 20-25mins. to rip a dvd with MTR but again the LaCie has a speed difference than the SD of my iMac or a PB.
    I should also say that with (well when I had it) the iBook 14" it took about 25-30mins. using my LaCie and MTR.
    I also didn't do anything else but rip a dvd, not even surf as some may do just to kill time while they wait for MTR to rip a dvd.

13. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I'm just curious as to what the difference in file size is between the two methods. I'm getting tired of having massive VIDEO_TS folders on my harddrive.

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

After just MtR my file is roughly 4GB, after Handbrake's compression-- either 700+MB or 1GB.

15. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I think it might depends on the DVD in question. Sometimes MTR does it in 20-30 mins on my Mac Mini 1.25 combo drive (The Matrix, for example) whereas LOTR is taking an hour. Perhaps it is to do with encryption method? I notice that the processor doesn't seem to be limiting, because Activity Monitor does not show 100% processor usage during ripping. I read somewhere that CSS can limit speed of DVD reading.

16. duncandeath macrumors member

duncandeath

i use dvd back up it seems faster than mac the ripper.

Normally takes 20 mins on my 1 ghz PB

17. runcapher68 macrumors newbie

runcapher68

Slow DVD rip with Handbrake

Hi all. I too am seeing extremely long rip times with Handbrake 0.91. I am running Leopard on a Dual 2.7 PowerMac G5 with 8gb of RAM and a Sony DVD RW DRU-840A external USB2 dual layer burner. I found it to be faster than the internal DVD RU DW-Q28A burner my machine came with. I am using the AppleTv preset as I am trying to get my entire DVD collection ripped for use with the AppleTV. For a 2 hour movie it takes about 4 hours. Is this normal?