DVD ripping

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iChan, Feb 7, 2003.

1. iChan macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Hi all, I am quite interested in DVD ripping when my 12" PB arrives... does anyone know of any good Mac DVD rupping sites out there as the only ones I could find were all based on the Windows platform...

That annoys the hell out of me... I havn't even switched yet and I'm getting really annoyed there there are so few programs out there for Mac OSX... sigh...
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Re: MAC Software Availability.

Here are some places to look in general for Mac Software:
  3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    There have been lots of threads on this subject round here recently, click here to see them.
  4. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2001
    Torrance, Californizzel
    Re: DVD ripping

While its true that there aren't endless applications for macs, would a lack of DVD ripping programs really be held against the mac?
  5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Re: DVD ripping

Life is so hard when you only have hundreds of worthless free/shareware apps instead of thousands. :rolleyes:

If it annoys you so much buy VPC or return yer Mac. Either way problem solved.

6. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2002
    Cupertino CA
    DVD Player

You can use the Apple DVD player to copy the video TS folder and then you can play the dvd @ DVD quality but the file size is ~5 GIGS.

I have has success with forty-two to rip a DVD to Divx. A typical 1 hour movie (Sopranos episode) is ~600MB, and Boyz in the Hood was also ~670MB and is about two hours long. You can get forty-two over here.

The problem is with forty-two it takes about 6 hours per dvd to convert, but it is well worth it. I am buying a new iBook and an external HD to store all my DVD's and Audio, then hook up to a TV and my stereo. Also a TV capture (ala Tivo) so I should have a nice multimedia center. The Shinning Apple will be at the center of it all :)