DVD ripping

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Shotgun Pete, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

I collect a Lot of tv dvd box sets from my faveourite shows, I have a MB with a 60gb hd, so I was planning on picking up an external. Would anyone have any advice on how to rip the episodes off of the disks and put them on an external drive (just the individual episodes not the whole dvd) just so I dont have to keep popping in new disks when I want to watch an episode.

any advice would be appretiated

2. cbetta macrumors regular

i use handbrake for that, and instant handbrake for converting for my psp.

3. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

i seconnd this, it's a very goof Application.

4. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

yeah... handbrake!

just customize it a little... you may want a better resolution, then you would want on an iPod or a pSp... so yeah play with it!

5. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

Handbrake is a good little programme.

However for those that wish to have something a little more powerful, DVDxDV is a great tool for extracting DVDs and converting directly into full-res Quicktimes.

http://www.dvdxdv.com/NewFolderLookSite/Products/DVDxDV.overview.htm

It'll export to DV codec and uncompressed Quicktime as well. Perfect for getting your TV shows in full glory on your computer, or for using later to edit with in iMovie or FCP.

The "consumer" version is only $25, and has served me very well over the last year. Its dead easy. Pop in a DVD, select the individual chapter you wish to grab (or all of it if you wish) and one click of an export later - your movie will start to export.

6. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

DVDxDV looks cool. I never seen it before.

I'm a handbraker. Actually, I like to use Mac the Ripper, then handbrake it to what I want; ie: another DVD, iPod or PSP. If I just want to watch it on my computer while I'm playin around in Photoshop or whatever then I just use the instant handbrake for iPod. They go into iTunes and on my iPod if I want. Look good at double/ tripple size 'cause of H.264. A movie of 1.5 hours is usually about 500MB, which I think is ideal.