Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juswitched

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
I just picked up a 10 pack of Verbatim DVD+RWs. I want to use them for backing up videos, music, documents, etc... So, I went ahead and tried it out to see how it worked. I burned about 1.7 GB of stuff to a DVD+RW. After it was done I wanted to try adding more stuff to it and then erasing all of it, to see if it worked how I thought it would. Well, it didn't. I cannot add/remove or erase the entirety of the DVD. I tried dragging the media off the DVD into the recycle bin but it says I don't have permission to do that. I want to be able to simply put stuff on the DVD and add more to it every other day or so. Now I am trying to erase the contents of the DVD in disk utility but it will not let me. Are there any programs or terminal commands I can use to erase the DVD? By the way, I have a PB G4 running Panther 10.3.5. Any help would be great thanks!!

PS. If anyone knows how to password protect CD's/DVD's be sure to let me know how, thanks.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I think the problem is with the +RW aspect. I know that DVDR-RW work fine. With some hacks I can use +R but I am pretty sure that +RW act as +R not RW in a Mac. Try -RW for better results. Or let us know what mod you used to gain native Mac support for the + disks.

Juswitched

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Ok thanks for all of your responses. I guess I will go and get some -RW's then.

Juswitched

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Ok. I just picked up some DVD-RW's, a 5 pack by imation. These are doing the exact same thing as the +RW's except in disk utility I am able to completley erase the DVD unlike with the +RW's. I dragged a couple of files into the DVD and clicked burn. It burned fine but when it got to the closing session part it took so long and didn't ever finish. So, I canceled the burn and my stuff was still on the DVD but I couldn't take stuff off of it or put more on. Is the closing session suposed to take sooooooo long that I should've waited and it would've finished? I waited about 15 minutes after it said closing session. Are there any programs that are FREE that will help me burn? Thanks.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Juswitched said:
I canceled the burn and my stuff was still on the DVD but I couldn't take stuff off of it or put more on. Is the closing session suposed to take sooooooo long that I should've waited and it would've finished?
The finder only burns single session disks. When a session is closed the burner essentially writes to the unused space making the disk full, so that it complies with the orange book (or what ever coloured book applies, I can't remember) standard. Which is why closing the session takes so long.

You can't do read and write to optical media like a hard drive, OS X currently doesn't support UDF packet writing. You need to make a multi-session disk or erase the disk completely, you can't delete individual files either you need to erase the entire disk.

To make a multi-session disk you need to use Disk Utility or Toast, to use Disk Utility try this:
1) Create a folder for the session and drag the items you want to burn into the folder.
2)Open Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities.
3)Select Images > New > "Image from Folder." Then select the folder you created in the navigation window and click Open.
4)Type a name for the image, choose a disk format, and click Save.
5)When the disk image is complete, select it in the left column of the Disk Utility window.
6)Choose Images > Burn or click Burn in the tool bar.
7)Insert a blank CD in the optical drive.
8)Select the "Leave disc appendable" checkbox. If you don't see this option, click the triangle in the top-right corner to see this option.
9)Click Burn.

This works for CDs and I'm pretty sure it should work for DVDs though I haven't tried, give it a go and find out.

Juswitched

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Finiksa said:
The finder only burns single session disks. When a session is closed the burner essentially writes to the unused space making the disk full, so that it complies with the orange book (or what ever coloured book applies, I can't remember) standard. Which is why closing the session takes so long.

You can't do read and write to optical media like a hard drive, OS X currently doesn't support UDF packet writing. You need to make a multi-session disk or erase the disk completely, you can't delete individual files either you need to erase the entire disk.

To make a multi-session disk you need to use Disk Utility or Toast, to use Disk Utility try this:
1) Create a folder for the session and drag the items you want to burn into the folder.
2)Open Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities.
3)Select Images > New > "Image from Folder." Then select the folder you created in the navigation window and click Open.
4)Type a name for the image, choose a disk format, and click Save.
5)When the disk image is complete, select it in the left column of the Disk Utility window.
6)Choose Images > Burn or click Burn in the tool bar.
7)Insert a blank CD in the optical drive.
8)Select the "Leave disc appendable" checkbox. If you don't see this option, click the triangle in the top-right corner to see this option.
9)Click Burn.

This works for CDs and I'm pretty sure it should work for DVDs though I haven't tried, give it a go and find out.

Thank you very much for your directions. I ran into one problem and it probrably is the most important part. I was not able to select the "leave disc appendable" checkbox in the burning options. I am burning it now without that checkbox checked to see if it works. What do I do when I want to add/remove more files to my DVD? Thanks.

rand()

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Michigan
Juswitched said:
Thank you very much for your directions. I ran into one problem and it probrably is the most important part. I was not able to select the "leave disc appendable" checkbox in the burning options. I am burning it now without that checkbox checked to see if it works. What do I do when I want to add/remove more files to my DVD? Thanks.

You're right, it was the most important part :) .

You'll have to do the entire process over again, blank the DVD with Disk Utility, then create a new image from folder and burn it again. I'm unsure why you weren't able to select the 'appendable...' checkbox, though. But that may depend on the format that you selected earlier.

-rand()

Juswitched

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
rand() said:
You're right, it was the most important part :) .

You'll have to do the entire process over again, blank the DVD with Disk Utility, then create a new image from folder and burn it again. I'm unsure why you weren't able to select the 'appendable...' checkbox, though. But that may depend on the format that you selected earlier.

-rand()

I've tried all of the formats: read/write, read only, compressed, and cd/dvd master, with and without encryption and none of them will let me leave disc appendable. I tried my DVD-RW and DVD+RW and they both won't work. Any ideas? :confused:

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Juswitched said:
I've tried all of the formats: read/write, read only, compressed, and cd/dvd master, with and without encryption and none of them will let me leave disc appendable. I tried my DVD-RW and DVD+RW and they both won't work. Any ideas? :confused:

Are you using any hacks? Like I mentioned before...the drive only officially supports DVD-R

From http://www.apple.com/powerbook/superdrive.html:

"Better still, the SuperDrive-equipped PowerBook G4 is compatible across the board, supporting DVD-Video, DVD-ROM and DVD-R, as well as CD-ROM, CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW, CD Bridge, CD Extended, CD Mixed Mode and Photo CD media"

rand()

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Michigan
Juswitched said:

That's actually the format of the .dmg file that Disc Utility creates, not the format that burns to the DVD. But on second inspection, you can't change what format it uses to go to the DVD, so far as I noticed.

So, you're seeing the "Leave disc appendable..." box, but it's greyed out? And you're starting with a freshly erased DVD-RW? I can't really think of anything else, unless you're burning so much in that image that it's simply filling the disc entirely.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Couple of things...

1.) The DVD +/- formats as of yet do not support multiple sessions like CDs do. Seems stupid, but that is the way it is. DVD+ formats can on some OSs add more data, but essentially that is because the session is never closed. I don't know if Mac allows you the luxury of not closing a session.

2. ) Finalizing a DVD requires that a minimum of 2GB ( or about half the disc ) be written to. If you only put your name in a text file and put it on a DVD, the recorder would still have to burn 2 GB of 0's to finalize the disk. This would explain the time gap.

I have wondered what the +RW would do on a Mac, since right now, I am looking into the LG Multi-Super Drive. For me, if the +RW didn't work, at least I would still have DVD-RAM to fall back on.

I hope the Macs still support DVD-RAM....

Hope this helped.

Max.

Juswitched

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Thanks for your responses guys. I have found a great program that does exactly what I need and more. It's called Dragon Burn, which allows multi-session burning for DVD+RW's. I am using the trial version right now but since it is only $9.99 I am definately going to buy it. Again, thanks for your time and if any of you are in my position DEFINATELY check out Dragon Burn.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19061

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Juswitched said:
I have found a great program that does exactly what I need and more. It's called Dragon Burn
Cool, I'm so glad you found that. I was going to mention it earlier but I was wracking my brain and couldn't for the life of me remember the name of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.